Hello From Indiana!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfy2449

Hello! I actually got into chins not too long ago. I was looking for a pet that I'll be able to keep at school for my anmial science class fo the first half of second semester this year (don't worry, they'll will still be very well taken care of). I saw an adorable chinchilla at a pet store and surprisingly my mom agreed that I could buy one. I haven't gotten her yet, but I came to this site to learn more and find out what's actually best for them (treats, cage, etc.) since so many sites say different things.

That sounds like a cool idea!

I don't own a chinchilla yet either, but I hope to get a few soon and look forward to learning on this forum. : )

Hello and welcome! I have owned my chinchilla for about 6 years now. I have him in a 2 story critter nation cage. I highly recommend those. The bigger the cage the better so have a double unit it best. If you don't have the space for that get the single unit or get a cage with multi levels but make sure to let him or her out everyday if you won't be provided a wheel. If you are providing a wheel, I suggest the Chin Spin. NEVER get the wire wheels. The chins feet can get hurt or even slip through the opening and he or she can get seriously injured. For food I recommend the Oxbow or Mazuri. I have my chin on the Mazuri but after i'm done with the bag I will be going back to Oxbow. (Nothing happened I just can't get it locally and I don't want to keep ordering it). Oxbow hay is also a great option for hay type. If is a baby I would give it Alfalfa hay. It is high in protein and calcium which is essential to growing chinchillas. For treats I would do the Oxbow baked treats ( or any Oxbow brand treats). Just because it is a baby I wouldn't give it to many treats. Probably 1 a week. But when the chin gets older you can do 1 - 2 a week. Treats should never be given more than 3 a week because it can cause a fatty liver, which can kill it. Also regular vet visits are a good thing. Because they are exotic they don't really show signs of illness before it to late. Just research chinchilla vets or exotic vet in your area and get a vet that has experience with chinchillas.
Good Luck!
~Marcus:D
*THIS IS NOT A GUIDELINE* *I COULD HAVE POSSIBLY LEFT THINGS OUT WHEN REPLYING BUT DO MORE RESEARCH ON REPUTABLE WEBSITES*

Thank you for all of the advice! I've done a lot more research since my first post. I'm getting my 2 year old female next week. She has a cage roughly the size of a double unit CN/FN and it's customized with kiln-dried pine wood. She's currently on Mazuri feed, and since it's a good brand and I can get it locally I'm keeping her on that. She has timothy hay, a flying saucer wheel (she will still get let out and the room is chin proofed), toys and chews made from chinchilla safe woods, and dried rose hips for the occasional treat. I've also called around and found a vet who treats chinchillas in my area.

I'm glad that you have everything in place for the new addition!
Good luck!
~Marcus :D

Back