Horse movement

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riven

Bad Chin
I was thinking about this last night, and people who have riden several horses will know what I'm talking about.

There are two main types of horse movement, up and down, and side to side. IMO side to side is a better motion unless you plan on posting, then the up and down gives you a nice boost!

But, is there any way to look at a horse and tell how it moves? I've noticed that what is commonly called around here "speedy horse" body style, more narrow type horses, tend to be up and down, where are wider horses tend to be side to side.

Let me know what you think, I couldn't find anything that supported anything regarding this when I searched it, but would be interested in reading something if there is anything regarding this!

Don't quote me on this as I cannot tell you if it is scientifically proven , but growing up ridin dressage we were always told that shorter backed horses were more up and down as well sa shorter legged horses. Horses thatwere longer backed or had longer legs were more side to sde.

Conformation. Here's a good site on gait analysis.

I watch the back, how the hips move, how the front moves. Gaited horses move all directions - circular, (side to side and up and down), though most prefer one or the other. My current one has been described as riding a 'rabid washing machine'.

Then there are the those that move forward naturally, neither up nor side to side. Had a lovely Morgan cross that was like that, also ridden a few QH's that were so smooth you couldn't tell which legs they were moving.

Grew up riding all "ranch horses". Mainly QH or TB and crosses of those 2. FOr the most part looking back I think it depends on the horse. I am with spoof. Watch shoulders and hips but also see how the animal acts under saddle. Under saddle a horse will move differently. I thin k the weight and size of rider will make differance to.

My horse Red, he was wild and wacked till you put him under saddle then he was like an old comfortable chair. He was QH/ TB and huge (17hh). To watch hm run not saddled he looked rough and crunchy (if that makes sense)

sonny.jpg

Well this is the horse we're looking at. I'm going to call the gal right now and see when we can see him. I know it's normal to ride a horse before you buy it, but I still feel kind of weird doing it. :p

Very pretty palomino!

That horse has two major flaws that would keep me from looking; Post legged in the back real bad and upright (almost vertical) shoulder.

Granted, it isn't the best picture, but that's usually a sign of a wicked rough trot, plus arthritis may show up earlier.

Let us know how your test ride goes! :) I love horse shopping.

An upright shoulder decreases shock absorption and restricts the ability of the leg to swing forward, generally causing the horse to have a jarring, choppy stride. It also increases the horse's risk of developing lameness. I agree with Spoof that the horse's shoulder looks horribly upright in that picture. Too bad you don't have a pic where the horse is actually standing correctly.
You need to go for a "test spin" before you buy any horse that you're planning on using for riding. As I'm sure you know, a horse can act like an angel when you're on the ground or when someone who is used to it is riding it, and then be a completely different animal once you get on it yourself. You also need to find out if the horse truly suits your riding style and ability, and whether you seem to "mesh". So don't feel weird about asking to go for a test ride! A good seller will not be offended or put out.

I would not call him post legged at all actually, we've always called it "peg leg". I think it's just that photo, the other ones of him show his rear better but rest worse. He is a bit flat in the chest, but I would not consider him excessively flat.

She said that he's nice and smooth, we set up to look at him on Sun.

I think he is also lacking some muscle tone in his hind end, but he's been used only for trail riding for the last 11 or so years, but remembers his pleasure training from the sounds of it. He is 22, so he is older and definitely not in "prime" of his life.

Our main concern is that he will be a good horse for 4-H and my daughter to learn on. :D We'll see how it turns out this weekend!

She offered a test ride anywhere I'd like, in the pen, out of the pen, down the road. She is truly an owner that wants a good home for him. She's answered a LOT of questions for me, asked a TON of questions from me, and even offered the information of his owner before him if I wanted to contact her!

Back