possible UTI or kidney stones?? HELP

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

chachilla

I have noticed that my boy is having issues peeing. He will have little dribbles of pee. Then today I kept hearing him squeek every time he would mount up like he was going to pee. So I looked for hair rings on his penis and did not find one, but I did notice that the area between his penis and anus seems to be a little swolen.

I am super worried about him, and have a feeling he could have a UTI or kidney stones. I plan on taking him to a vet tomorrow morning, but I would like to know how surious this is? Will I need to worry about him dying on me in the middle of the night? Also I would like to know how he could have gotten this and if there is anything I could have done to prevent it?

I'm sorry nobody answered this yet. Yes, a kidney infection and/or stones can be very serious, especially if the stone is too big for him to pass, which could require some sort of invasive procedure. It's great that you are getting him into the vet right away, and hopefully they can get a handle on it and get it treated!

What kind of food does he get? What kind of treats?

What type of hay base (alfalfa/timothy) are the pellets that you feed? Do you give loose hay or cubes as well? What are they? Do you give cuttlebone or a "salt lick" too? Are you adding anything to his water? What kind of water are you giving him?

Just a few questions that I can think of that need to be answered....

Thank goodness he made it through last night...I couldn't sleep until 3AM. poor guy is in such bad pain I can tell, taking him to the vet in 20 min. when they open.

To answer your questions, he is fed Mazuri pellets, and we give him Oxbow western timothy hay which is loose not blocked. His teeth were a little light colored when I got him, so I did purchase a cuddle bone...which was given to him sparingly. I know that too much calcium could infact be the problem. If so obviously no more cuddle bone! And as for treats...he is given a smidgen of dried raisin or dried apple chunk about twice a week. I know not to give him too many goodies.

I absolutely hate the fact that my little guy could be in such pain because of something I am doing wrong. Chins are so delicate, caring for one is deffinately a learning process! I am so thankful to have a site like this to turn to. I will update you all as soon as we get back from the vet.

Oh, I almost forgot...the water given to him is purified filtered water. I have heard different things about the kind of water to give him, like some people boil the water the night before to sterilize it. Is filtered water OK? Should I be giving him something else?

The calcium intake sounds reasonable - especially if the cuttlebone was given sparingly. I would cut out any fruit or veggie treats - stick with simple things like a few rolled oats (not the instant kind), a shredded wheat square, or the occasional piece of rose hip. And of course chew sticks are great "treats" as well!

What kind of filter are you using to purify the water? Some will only remove certain chemical/mineral contaminants (like the Brita filters) using carbon, while others use a very fine filter (1 micron, I believe - such as Pur filters) that will eliminate microorganisms like giardia - this is the most important type.

Good luck at the vet and keep us updated!

I just got back from the vet and she said she thinks she felt a bladder stone. She is giving him x-rays right now. She told me that a surgery for him would cost me anywhere from $800-$1500! I am really upset, I don't have enough money put away for an emergency of this nature. Infact I just recently got a new job and my financial situation is not good. I honestly don't know what I am going to do. If I can't afford the surgery right away, it would not be right to let him suffer...I cannot stand the thought of putting him down.:cry3:

I hope everything will be ok...please pray for Cletus and I. We need all the thoughts and prayers we can get:tissue::please:

So the vet found 9 bladder stones in my little guy! She informed me that she was wrong about the price of the proceedure and it should only cost about $400. However, she also said that after the stones are removed most likely they will come back in about three months, and it will be a re-occuring thing. And that with how sensitive chinchillas are, some die from all the stress of the surgery and pain. So that leaves me stuck between a rock and a hard spot!

She also said that the main cause of his problem was the brand of food I am feeding him is alfalfa based. I am extremely irritated at the fact that MAZURI (along with most other brands)can produce and sell a product that is in fact unsafe for chinchillas! I was under the impression that I was feeding him the best quality pellet available. The Mazuri company will certainly be getting an ear full from me! It states on the package that Mazuri pellets are for "all life stages." This is not right...I am peeved! I almost think I am better off just feeding him hay!

Thanks guys for all your support and feedback. I would like some suggestions on weather or not to proceed with surgery. Isn't there any medicine available to break down chinchilla bladder stones?

Last edited:
Mazuri IS a good brand, as are Tradition, Oxbow, Manna Pro Sho, PANR - all alfalfa based. A good chinchilla diet should be mostly hay (feed free choice 24/7) and while pellets should be left out, most chins will only nibble at them, eating a total of about 2Tbs per day. Not much alfalfa at all in that lil bit of pellets.

APD does make a timmy pellet for sensitive chinchillas. There are a few chins out there who are overly sensitive to bladder/kidney stones. And for them, there is the possibility an alfy based pellet is too rich. I have heard of a few people with sensitive chins opting for a hay-only diet, but they did so working very close with their vet to be sure it was in the chinchillas' best interest.

Stones are caused by excess calcium - you need to be sure your chin is getting a 2:1 calcium - phosphorus ratio. If he isnt getting enough phosphorus, he wont process the calcium properly and it becomes "extra" in his system. Most chins can expell this, but for some it builds up into painful stones. Speak with your vet about his overall diet - hay, treats, pellets - and see if he/she can work with you to come up with something best suited to your lil guy.

Good Luck
~Barb~

Buy your food from APD. As stated above, they have a timothy based pellet. Tons of people use Mazuri and other types of alfalfa based pellets with no issues. I'm guessing, just like in people, your guy just has a tendency towards it more than others.

If money is a problem, you may want to ask your vet about Care Credit- if your vet accepts it, you can work out payment plans.

His teeth were a little light colored when I got him, so I did purchase a cuddle bone...which was given to him sparingly. I know that too much calcium could infact be the problem.

I believe his teeth can be light colored and still be OK, he may not have needed that cuttle bone. Plus when they're young their teeth are often lighter.

You can try giving your chin marshmallow root. It soothes bladder inflammation and also used for release of bladder stones(as it coats the fragments).
Here some info from www.natural-dog-health-remedies.com/canine-bladder-stones.html
"The mucilaginous (lubricating) properties of marshmallow not only help to protect and soothe inflamed tissues in the urinary tract, but may also help with the passage of stones.
Marshmallow also has slight astringent and antimicrobial properties that can reduce inflammation and inhibit bacterial growth."
Dandelion can also assist the body to eliminate the stones and bacteria from the urinary tract.
Both marshmallow and dandelion are safe for chins.
Fingers crossed for your chin's recovery.

Just because a chin gets bladder stones does not mean that they will get them again. SOME chins do have a recurring problem with them, but I had a chin have a stone removed and that was years ago and he has had no problems since then.

Back