Bo is dozing off in unusual places... and other questions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 6 month male chin, Bo, has been falling asleep near the door of his habitat, rather than in his hut, like he has for the 3 months I've had him. This behavior started maybe 3 days ago. I realized he had been eating his bedding (Kaytee Clean&Cozy) and switched him to pine shavings. He also has been drinking much less water than is normal for him. I can't currently afford to take him to a vet, but I was wondering what could cause this change in where he wants to sleep? I bring him out to play quite often, he has a puppy pen where he loves to run around. I am wondering if he is sleeping by the door to be closer to me, but he has slept in his hut because it is dark and cool since I got him. Also, he occasionally gets little crusty bits in his fur because I give him compressed timothy hay cubes and he goes to TOWN. The resulting saliva/hay can give him little tangle spots that stay around after his dust baths. I was wondering if it would be safe to use a cushion slicker brush on him, to be gentle on the tangles. I would love any advice that anyone has to offer!!! I want to give my baby the absolute best. Thank you :)

Sleeping out in the open is generally a good sign, it means he is comfortable with his environment. If he is an only chin, it's very likely he is sleeping by the door to be close to you.

I'm a bit concerned about the crusty bits you are referring to, do you mean he is drooling and the hay is getting stuck to his fur? Chins shouldn't drool, that is a very clear sign of tooth/mouth issues. Giving hay cubes instead of loose doesn't make a chin drool, if he is he needs to get checked out by a vet.
I wouldn't use a slicker brush, too much risk of scratching the skin, but a fine toothed comb should work.

Back