Introducing 3 chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spoink

I have 3 female chinchillas who are not related. They have been living next to one another for almost a year. There has not been any fighting at all through the bars of the cages. Could all 3 live togeather in the biggest cage, which is 4 feet tall, 3 feet wide and 2 feet deep? If so, how would I go about introducing them? Should I do it 1 at a time or all at once?

Thank you for any help:)

While I don't have that type of cage - I have never had animals that did not bond but I use custom 4' wide cages with introduction sections. One male/female I will use the smoosh method, with my breeding trios I use the "introduction" method. If I were to do it and I only had 3 cages, I would - give the girls at least 2 dust baths using the same dust and container (over a week). Then I would scrub the large cage, empty it (leave no old wood items) and wipe down with water with a couple of drops of vanilla. Using the smoosh method introduce all three girls then put them into a bath tub (with a large towel in the bottom unless of course you have an empty cage none of them have used) with one (1) dust bath they can ALL fit into. See how it goes. If it goes well - let them loose in bathroom and observe, then move 1 food bowl/water bottle for each chin into the corners of the large cage along with ea. of their houses. The girls need to have a clear path to food/water/house that they do not need to defend. Once everyone gets along you can remove some bowls/water bottles. If it doesn't work...repeat starting at the dust baths using the same dust and container for a week.

Back