Dead grasshopper in hay

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TnkTaingTal

I found a dead squished grass hopper in my hay. I'm already half way through the box. Is it safe to continue giving to my chinchillas? I'm thinking it's not a big deal, but would like some opinions before giving anymore of the hay to my chins. Thank you.

I don't think it's a big deal, grasshoppers aren't poisonous, they are actually edible. I would toss the grasshopper not give it to the chins though, :thumbsup: lol.

It is SPS. I recently switched back to them after finding a dead rat head in my Oxbow :( that was disturbing. The chins definitely prefer oxbow and it's cheaper, but I'm too scared to buy from them anymore. That batch of hay I tossed without question. Thank you Amethyst.

Sent from my BLU R1 HD using Tapatalk

i just read about this yesterday actually. Its worth noting that hay is grown in big out door fields. So critters are going to get in there. The processing machines (or w/e) do try to get anything out that might have got caught. But once in a while something will slip through.

Back