Protein Powder?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

My chin, Chloe was diagnosed with dental disease about 3+ months ago. She went in for her 3rd filing today. I've been trying really hard to get her to eat more hay to grind her teeth down and I do limit her pellets because she eats more hay that way. The vet said she has muscle wasting and needs a protein supplement. I'm guessing it's from the decrease in pellets as that's really her main source of protein. If that's the case then she may be deficient or in danger of being deficient in some other nutrients that she mainly gets from pellets. I will bump up her pellets (maybe mix in some mazuri or something), though I hope it doesn't decrease her hay consumption. Her weight is unchanged from the past year essentially.
My question is, does anyone have any experience with protein powder supplements? I don't know if I've heard of a chin on protein supplements. My gut says to just up her pellets and call it a day but obviously I am no expert and she is my first and only chin so I have no experience to compare it to.
Thanks!

I'm going to try and say this nicely. 3 dentals in 3 months is hurting her, not helping. Teeth can not be fixed, and clearly they are not able to be maintained if her teeth need fine that often. Repeated aneth, medications and no doubt syringe feeding can affect how the chin absorbs their food. Imo, euth would be the kindest thing you can do for her

Alfalfa is rich in protein, so you may consider mixing in some alfalfa with grass hays (about 35% or so) or you can get alfalfa/grass blend. Do you offer a tablespoon of pellets or less?

I second the loose alfalfa for malo chins, you get the benefit of higher protein, higher calcium and chewing action of eating alfalfa loose.

Thank you for all your responses. I understand it is a fatal disease and though she is getting anesthetized an awful lot, she recovers really well and she doesn't have trouble eating now. She likely does not have much time left which breaks my heart but I believe I can be fairly considerate of her quality of life. I see people everyday who have waited too long and their pet is miserable. Can't say I will be 100 percent objective but I can try.
I will get her some alfalfa hay, there's probably some around here anyways. I was feeding her a a little less than a tablespoon of pellets a day, though I wasn't measuring it so it may have been less. Just wanted her to eat as much hay as possible. Her food is measured now and I'm giving her 1-2 tablespoons/day and she still chows on hay when she's done. Thanks.

To be honest, when its malo your goal is to get them to eat anything on their own, if the chin want pellets, let them have all they want. The only time a dental problem is treated like you want to is if the chin is a "lazy chewer" and the pattern of wear on the teeth is specific to that condition. Malo it does not make much difference IMO, its eating what they can for as long as they can, whatever it is. I have fed equine senior pellets exclusively, I have fed calf manna exclusively, both not acceptable for a lazy chewer but fine again IMO and my experience for a malo chin.

Dawn, so I don't know that Chloe has malocclusion. I kind of assumed she did but looking at her rads, her teeth are overgrown but placed normally. The only time she had trouble eating was when her spurs made lacerations on her cheeks and they got infected.
So would she be considered a lazy chewer? She has root elongation as well but it hasn't worsened any since it was diagnosed over a year ago. She used to have the straightest bite, but now she always has a wave on her rads even right after filing.

Update: Chloe is doing well. She doesn't seem like she needs a filing again. I am going to check her teeth at home and maybe at the vets if I can't see it well (she realizes what I'm doing pretty quickly now hah).
She is on mostly blue seal now, with some oxbow mixed in. A full tablespoon a day. She eats Tanya's supplements and her hay as well. Along with usual chewies (sticks, pumice stones etc).
She has started chewing on toys that have been in there for months that she's ignored. She's gained about 30 grams. She hasn't gained weight in a very long time.
I have caught her pawing at her mouth twice and it was severe pawing. Both times I saw rosehip seeds in her cage. Gave her some meloxicam and it resolved.
I'm not saying she's gonna live for a while but I seem to be on a regimen that works for now. I'm sure she will need a filing in the future but hopefully not very soon.
Maybe this advice will help other dental chin owners.

Back