Raising butt

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Idgie

Chin Geek
We have a four month old chin that we adopted a couple weeks ago. We pet her in her cage. She constantly is raising her butt (while she is facing us) to have us scratch her bottom. She often squeaks (not squeals) and will let out a scent. She likes to be scratched all over and is pretty trusting of us to let us touch her anywhere.
Our other chins have never done this, but we rescued them as adults. We weren't sure if it was just simply a matter of her telling us where she likes to be scratched or something else. She doesn't seem particularly submissive otherwise. At what age is she ready to breed? (Not that we want to do that!)
Thanks.

It sounds like she may be in heat. Chins can sometimes physically breed as young as 8-12 weeks, obviously that would be very bad if they bred that young, which is why male kits should be weaned at 8 weeks. If you are asking how long to wait until she should breed (assuming clean genetic lines, etc), it's around 2 years, when she is full grown and you know how she will turn out. Also chinchillas start to go through puberty around 4-6 months, brace yourself for possible mood swings, lol.

Thanks. No, I don't want to breed her. Was just wondering at what age chins go into heat and if that could be it. I have had female chins, so I know about the moods lol. Didn't know that puberty was so young.

Back