Priming question

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brittany

Mia Bella Vita
I'm trying to figure out if Latte is priming or not? Her coat looks like it always does, tight, short, and even however I've been noticing tufts of fur all over the cage for a while now. I've searched the forum, and seen some pictures of chins that are priming, but she's never gotten that uneven 'priming look'. Do other chins prime like this?

Chico always had a very distinct priming line:
DSCF0535.jpg

My other boys will just have little random tufts coming out and look rough for a short while. Can you post a picture of Latte?

WOw chico's priming line is really neat. All 4 of my chins prime with "tufts" sticking out. It drives me nuts I just want to pull them all out haha.

it depends on the chin - some look terrible, and some like the ebony line I have never look out of prime.

Growing up taking care of 2 large pelting herds of chinchillas (my Father's and Grandfather's) checking animals for priming was essential to getting a good price for each pelt. It is really simple to figure out where an animal is with priming. Start by blowing into the fur at the neck and shoulders and continue back towards the tail. Priming always starts at the head and works back towards the tail. When you blow into the fur observe the color of the skin, if it's blue it's priming and if it's white it's already primed. Wherever the line of blue is across it's back is the prime line moving back towards the tail. When the skin appears white from neck to tail the chin is in optimum fur prime. Sometimes, you'll notice blue in the neck and over the rump at the same time. This means the animal has started new prime before fully finishing previous prime. Just a little trick all fur ranchers know.

Thanks for the trick Mark, I'm curious to take a look at her during playtime tonight. Thanks Spoof, that's what I was wondering if it was possible to prime without getting the lines. Because she looks even, but like I mentioned there's tons of loose fur tufts in the cage.

You're welcome. :))

I've often wondered if the priming lines aren't a product of soft fur. The softer the fur the more obvious the lines, but I haven't really taken note to touch chins I notice priming when visiting other herds. I've always bred for the non-visible priming types as it makes it so much easier to groom when showing.

Growing up taking care of 2 large pelting herds of chinchillas (my Father's and Grandfather's) checking animals for priming was essential to getting a good price for each pelt. It is really simple to figure out where an animal is with priming. Start by blowing into the fur at the neck and shoulders and continue back towards the tail. Priming always starts at the head and works back towards the tail. When you blow into the fur observe the color of the skin, if it's blue it's priming and if it's white it's already primed. Wherever the line of blue is across it's back is the prime line moving back towards the tail. When the skin appears white from neck to tail the chin is in optimum fur prime. Sometimes, you'll notice blue in the neck and over the rump at the same time. This means the animal has started new prime before fully finishing previous prime. Just a little trick all fur ranchers know.

Thanks for the information. I am going to check out one of my chins tomorrow.

Is this why Woodrow's fur has been looking so... gross lately? It's like separating, almost like he hasn't had a dust bath in ages, even though he had one 3 days ago. It is kind of tufting a little bit too, but not that much.

I have an ebony and 2 whites who never look like they are priming. They are always gorgeous. I have others who get the little tufts and still others who get definite priming lines. I will have to check out that little piece of info Mark gave us.

Could you explain with photos? I couldn't understand exactly.Thank you very muchin advance.

Back