Phasing young chins into longer playtimes/wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Strong Chin

In a couple weeks, both our chins will be 6 months. We've been giving them 10 minute play times a couple times a week, as people here suggest not overdoing it when they're young. We are going to start giving them longer play times, my question is, should we go in phases, to get them used to it? As in, should we do 15 minutes one playtime, then 20 the next, then 25, etc? Do you ease them in, or is it safe at this point to just let them have a long playtime?

We will also be putting in a chin spin. Will we need to monitor this, as they're still pretty young, or can we assume they'll likely be safe since they've reached 6 months?

Thank you!

It is best to slowly increase the time, so up to 15-20 minutes one week, 20-30 the next, etc, until you are up to the amount of time you want to give them. Think of it like training to run, you have to get your endurance up.

With the wheel you do need to monitor them, even adult chins have been known to over do it on the wheel and lose weight. It's something new so they can get carried away in the excitement. So keep an eye on the weight, an obviously the eating and drinking and stuff. Most chins calm down some once the novelty wears off and don't run on it all the time like they do at first, but still use it a lot.

Thank you! I'll keep an eye on their weight. I guess another concern of mine would be risk of heat stroke. We keep the room between 62-65, so would it be ok to leave the wheel in un-monitored (while checking in sometimes and keeping an eye on the weight), since we probably won't be able to watch them 24/7?

Back