Chin is bored of hay, how can I get her to eat it?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IceMaiden

There's nothing wrong with her, she's active, happy, bright eyed and bushy tailed and chews all her wooden chew sticks and toys. But she seems to have got bored with hay and doesn't appear to be eating much of it. I've been giving her alfalfa king Timothy hay and the oat barley one in the purple bag for the past three months, alternating them every other day, and to begin with she was eating a lot, but in the past week or so she seems completetly bored of it. She's still eating some but nowhere near as much.

I bought a bag of Readigrass two days ago for a change but she's not eating much of that either:banghead: . I've cut down a lot on pellets thinking it'll force her to eat the hay, but I'm worried she'll just not eat anything if there's no pellets and starve. Is it ok to remove the pellets like this?

I even bought a pack of floral type mix to appetise it up, she's not bothered in the leaves/grasses all she wants is the pea flakes and dried carrot pieces in it! How do I get her to eat the hay again?

Maybe just give it time, I have seen her go for a few days before not eating hay but she always comes back to it. As long as she is still eating pellets.

I keep my hay really simple I get the alfalfa hey 2nd cut from this vendor
https://www.farmerdavepetsupply.com

She has eaten many many pounds from this site I have seen her skip hay at times but never for an extended period.

Try switching up her hay. My chin had Plain Timothy hay for the longest time then I I tidied her to a different blend of hats from oxbow which was bigger and thicker peices and she am just shoved it in a corner of her cage and never ate it.

I keep my hay really simple I get the alfalfa hey 2nd cut from this vendor
https://www.farmerdavepetsupply.com

Aloha!!

I've read in various places online, as well as the response from more experienced owners, that you should be feeding TIMOTHY hay over Alfalfa because the alfalfa is "too hot" (the term most farmers and ranchers use), meaning too high in calories, and, thus, can lead to health problems later on. I've been told to feed some alfalfa to my girls (until 6 mos) but Timothy should always be offered as the primary. It's a chin's staple in life. This is the one I'm using...

(The image is linked to that specific product on Amazon)​

The best write-up I've found online would be this article I found on Small Pet Select's website. It's a very interesting read!

Please don't take this as "you are wrong" but just sharing information I've discovered in trying to be the best chin-mom I can possibly be!

A hui hou,
~ Tina

Mine will eat it as long as it is in the hay box. They don't believe in the 5 second rule as nothing that touches the ground gets touched. The fresher the hay, the more they seem to like it.

Back