Excessive Licking

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MabelandMitzy

Our 1-year old chin has begun to lick herself constantly. She is soaking wet down her front legs and paws as well as from her chin all the way down her belly. I keep drying her off with a towel and a hairdryer on low. We worry she will lick her fur right off. The vet has determined there is nothing medically wrong with her. He suggested more interaction and stimulation. She has plenty of things to chew on. Any other pearls of wisdom? My 13-year old old is on the verge of hysterical.

Take her to another vet who knows something about chins. Sounds like your chin has teeth problems and she is slopering . She is using her paws to wipe her mouth. This is serious - find another vet and have the vet take x-rays of her teeth.

Chinchillas don't drool for no reason, and definitely not because they are bored. I agree is sounds like a tooth problem and that your chin is drooling. They take dust baths as their primary fur care, they do minor grooming but don't lick themselves clean like a cat or dog. How was it determined that nothing is medically wrong? Were x-rays taken? Was she sedated for a full mouth checkup? It could be something as simple as a piece of hay or wood caught in the teeth, or could be as serious as a broken tooth, a tooth spur or malo. Chins need to be sedated so a camera can go in the mouth to view the back teeth, and x-rays are needed to rule out root elongation or misalignment.

Back