Sudden Aggression

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Meeko

Hi All! I've had my little buddy now for almost three years. So we get along pretty well. He hops all around on me and basically uses me as his jungle gym. However, recently (the past four months) he's become aggressive toward people he's been around. Specifically my roommates. When they come in the room to sit with us he bites them! He never bites me anymore and it's shocking to see how he behaves around people. He starts moving very quickly and erratically and starts sort of running a diagonal path toward them then lashes out and bites. He hasn't broken skin yet but he's biting hard enough to shock them.

Any ideas? Have you guys seen this behavior in any of your little guys? I hate to think of him acting like this because we get along so well now!

My first thought (after the question of if they did anything to him), is have they changed soap, lotion, shampoo, spray (body spray, perfume, or cologne), laundry detergent, etc. Chins can be sensitive to smells, and if the smell of the people changed, especially if the chin doesn't like the new smell that can cause issues.

Well he may be angry at my roommate because she tends to give him treats while I'm out of town. Apparently this time she gave him less attention. I don't know if that could be it!

He also tends to hump a lot. I don't know if he's getting all excited and biting them prior to humping!

Back