Too much alfalfa?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

While my little guy has been eating great, he lost interest in his timothy. All he wants is alfalfa. I can get him to eat a little bit if I mix the two together, but all he will consistently eat a good amount of is alfalfa. He's on Oxbow so obviously only having alfalfa isn't good for him. I've tried different brands, it doesn't make a difference.

Any suggestions?

Alfalfa is one of those topics that is debatable, there are ranchers that fed pellet only and no hay, there are ranchers that fed pellets only and just alfalfa cubes, there are chinchillas that are pellet hogs and eat little timothy-the pellet hog who is essentially on a alfalfa only diet, I free feed alfalfa along with a variety of grass hays and manna sho pellets, so its a lot of alfalfa, I and others have had no problems doing it long term. If it bothers you you can switch to a timothy pellet, American pet diner makes one, and Nutragena rabbit pellet is timothy based, Oxbow guinea pig is also timothy.

Switching his pellets just worries me, I don't want to risk him not eating again. I was just concerned about the lack of Timothy in his diet.
Do you think it would hurt to mix some GP Oxbow in with his own, or offer it in a different bowl maybe? I didn't think the Guinea pig formula was suitable for them so that's news to me haha.

Back