Question regarding safe/unsafe woods again

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bchins

I got this list of safe/unsafe woods off of the NZ Chinchilla Rescue website, but there are alot more listed than on the CnH's list.....I trust CnH's list more than this one, but thought I'd check to hear other peoples' imput on these:

SAFE WOODS
• Cottonwood
• Apple
• Willow (But stick with goat, weeping, or pussy willow)
• Pear
• Mulberry
• Crab-Apple
• Hazelnut
• Elm
• Arancariaceae
• Roseace
• Dogwood Rose (Rosehips are healthy daily treats too!)
• Chinese Dogwood
• Horse Apple
• Kiwi
• Pine (Kiln Dried)
• Pine cones that have been opened, free of seeds, washed, baked, and dried.
• Alderberry
• Bamboo
• Grape
• Manzanita
• Hawthorn
• Magnolia
• Pecan
NOT SAFE WOODS
• Woods that’s produce fruits with pits(example: cherry, plum, etc.)
• Cashew
• Birch
• Cedar
• Cherry
• All Citrus woods
• Elderberry Bushes
• Box Elder
• Chestnut
• Ebony
• Sandalwood
• Hydrangea
• Eucalptus
• Spruce
• Fir
• Aralia Spinosa
• Juniper
• Green Heart
• Fresh Cut Pine or Pinecones
• Beech
• Yew
• Oak (bark is safe & is used in remedies & as a treat)
• Teak
• Walnut
• Ironwood
• Rosewood
• Black Locust (bean shell is safe)
• Ginko
• Maple
• Blackwood
• Almond
• Myrtle
• Mahogany
• Wenge
• Chinese Snake Tree
• Cypress
• Tallow
• Lime Tree
• Sycamore
There may be more that have not yet been tested of which are dangerous to chinchillas, so do not depend completely upon this list for your chinchilla’s(s’) sake.

Birch is one of the wood that is contraversal. Some use it some don't.

As a general rule, a lot of woods safe for birds,are also safe for chinchillas, but you do still need to research to make sure. Some people like Tunes, and myself and others, have used birch for our own chinchillas, (( have birds myself)) a lot of the wood pieces you get online for making bird toy parts are made with birch.

In the end, it's what you are most comfortable doing, like you I do take more stock from people here, who have hands on experience for YEARS, and their animals are still holding strong vs a random website I might come across. Just like a book, anyone can make website! Including me! :wacko:

Haha yeah, I know :) I knew Birch was one that you guys said was safe, and obviously it must be, I mean nothing has gone wrong! :) Did you see any on there that were questionable that were on the safe list?
Thanks!

Thank you both for helping me with this. I just want to make sure I don't give my herd anything harmful! :) Thanks again!

i'm glad you included cashew and walnut,i've been seeing alot of treats for chinchillas with walnut wood also peach.i told them that the peach was bad for the chinnies but i didn't know about the walnut

It's listed on not safe on the list you have, but on the forum it does have fir down as being safe. So another personal one to consider, and if your comfy with it!
Here is the forum list of woods....UNSAFE WOOD:
Cedar
Pine that hasn't been kiln dried
Apricot
Cherry
Peach
Prune
Plum
Nectarine

SAFE WOOD:
Apple
Arbutus
Ash
Aspen
Beech
Birch
Cholla (a form of cactus)
Cottonwood
Crabapple
Dogwood
Elm
Fir
Hawthorn
Larch
Magnolia
Manzanita
Mulberry
Pine (kiln dried)
Pear
Pecan
Poplar
Sequoia (Redwood)
Willow

Good to know Fir is safe, or at least one that's not considered unsafe :) What about the Basswood tree? Does anyone know much about that? I believe I have that tree in my yard, so was just wondering.
Thanks everyone!

Lyonia ferruginea (Dragon wood) is in the same family as blueberry,cranberry, bilberry, and some others, but is in a different genus.

so is weeping willow safe for my chin i have a weeping willow tree in the back yard and i want to if i stripped it put it in the oven for a couple hours on low and befor that washed it as well would it be safe

Yes weeping willow is safe, when processed (washed, baked, etc). Just make sure it's a tree that has never ever been sprayed with any chemicals. Chemicals can stay inside a tree for decades, possibly forever.

Back