Breeding white to mosaic?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thetuckerfarm

A local person is rehoming a mosaic male and Wilson white female. They have been housed together so I know there is a good chance the female will be pregnant.

I am not farmiliar with chinchilla genetics, but doesn't a white to a mosaic or other white kill the mother?

I am considering one or both of these Chins - but I wanted to learn about this first. Thanks!

I started researching and learned about the lethal gene. Glad to know if this female is pregnant it won't kill her.

The woman rehoming said she "never tried to breed them", yet they've been together for 6 months. So I should assume that the female could be pregnant?

The female very well could be pregnant.... if it were me, I'd separate them and see if she is...

Assume she is pregnant. Seperate them. Wait and see if she has any kits. Breeding with the lethal factor is very dangerous. She can give birth to stillborn, or a lot of times her body just re absorbs the fetus. Either way not a desirable outcome.

Breeding two whites or two blacks will lead to the lethal factor, but the term is very very misleading. Lethal factor simply means those chinchillas with the homozygotic genes simple do not develop, the egg and the sperm are not compatable and there will be 25% less kits. The bigger issue is white to white produces weak cottony fur. Very low quality animals

Back