Chinchilla Wheels

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dms316

Okay, so I recently got a new cage for my chinchilla, we are waiting to transfer him right now because we are replacing the shelves with wood. I want to get him a wheel, but I know you have to be really careful about what wheel to get. I know the Flying Saucer is a really good wheel for chinchillas, but I don't know where I can get one at, and how much they are. Also, does anyone make them, maybe you can tell me how? I watched a video on YouTube and this guy said that he makes them, so if you can just tell me what you use and how you do it. Thanks! :)

Also, I seen they had plastic and metal flying saucer. Is it better to get a metal one, because plastic can be bad? I have a plastic hide for him, so I didn't know if the plastic has to be a certain kind or something.

Plastic can be very bad if they chew/ingest it. And its in a chins nature to do just that. So the metal ones are definitely better in that area. Ill also mention that when i took in my first chin, he came with a plastic wheel. Plastic on plastic will grind into a fine plastic powder. It will also destroy the wheel. I had to replace them every month or so. (until i found out how bad plastic was) I probably spent as much replacing wheels in the beginning as i did on the metal flying saucers. :/

^^ That is exactly what I went through in the beginning. I had no idea plastic was bad since my girls didn't chew it, BUT I went through three of those $15 Silent Spinner wheels. Sally would run so hard it would grind the middle knob right off and it would just fall apart. Then I found out where the GOOD wheels came from, and she's had the same Chin Spin for the last 7 years. Totally worth it!

I have made both DIY wheels.

1. Feed pan with lazy susan.

2. Circular wood cutout with chin safe surface on a lazy susan and tilted on a platform.

Needless to say I now own a Flying Saucer, Chin Spin and a Silver Surfer now.

Both of the DIY wheels are extremely loud and no matter what you do, it will always be that way. In the long run it really does not save you much money, but will save you the headache.

I do however keep the standard DIY wheel around for when I first introduce it to a chin, then I do not have to risk spending money for something they do not use or like.

note that a lot of chinchilla breeders do not use runwheels of any sort due to a high accident rate with chinchillas. I have mixed feelings right now due to how much my chinchillas love the runwheels but I am looking for alternatives to give them a chance to run when they want to.

Back