How can you tell if your Chinchilla is Pregnant?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've recently noticed weight gain, strange behavior and I'm pretty sure large teats, as I've been researching - that is one of the main tell, tell signs. Although, I've only seen one once and this is before I read that you probably shouldn't be handling your chin if she is pregnant.. as I don't want to disturb her or potentially hurt kits.. Are there any other signs?

(She has joint play time with one of my male Chinchillas)

why would you allow joint play time? It only takes seconds for a female to get pregnant. It can happen faster then you can physically react.

It's not an issue that she's pregnant, regarding joint playtime... I know their backgrounds and am more than capable of housing more chins... I'm just excited about the potential pregnancy, therefore wanting to know any more tell tell signs of pregnancy...
There's no need to be passive aggressive towards the thread when you evidently don't understand or know the background of my situation.

Mark 111 days since you first let them play together and make sure you have a proper cage with no shelves and spacing of 1/2 inch or less. Sometimes you can't tell a chinchilla is pregnant until the kits are out. Do not let the male and female be together again ever or she will be pregnant again. Read through posts in the breeding and babies section and read the horror stories if you can. Please be careful in the future, bad things can happen to our beloved chins when they give birth.

Back