Giardia

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Inca-bink

You are right! Thank yuo so much for correcting me in such a polite manner. We were thinking of something else, sorry for the accident.

What about refrigerator door water?
We have a filter on it, and I always clean the water bottle with boiling water then give them water from the fridge.
PM me if you have any info on this!

As a veterinary technician I have seen a lot of giardia over the years. Although Flagyl (metronidazole) is a common treatment by many old school vets, its effectiveness over the years has declined in many areas. It is also very hard on the body. Many vets now recommend fenbendazole for giardia treatment. It works much better in my experience and has fewer side effects.

Your vet is always your best source of knowledge but it is something to think about :)

I use market basket spring water that i buy by the gallon for maggie, is that safe?!

from what i know, the most effective way to prevent giardia is to filter water through a triple-stage filter like PUR, even Brita isn't good enough, supposedly.

My vet just called,maggie is positive for giardia. I have taken all her wood out of her cage and scrubbed it and poured boiling water over everything,is this effective?!

Hey guys,

I have been dealing with giardia for 7 months now. She's been on Panacur, Flagyl, and both at the same time. I'm sanitizing like crazy, and she's on a riser.

I'm pretty much going loopy at this point.

Is it possible that it's just resistent to the meds? I'm at a loss!

Hey guys,

I have been dealing with giardia for 7 months now. She's been on Panacur, Flagyl, and both at the same time. I'm sanitizing like crazy, and she's on a riser.

I'm pretty much going loopy at this point.

Is it possible that it's just resistent to the meds? I'm at a loss!

What kind of water source are you using?

Have the treatments been a couple weeks on, one week off, then a couple weeks on again? Sometimes that treatment regimen is required to kick the infection. It allows all the cysts that weren't affected by the medication to grow to a point where they are affected by it.

Sorry, I was reading this thread and Lady jumped on the keyboard and posted a bunch of garble. Could an admin please delete this post? Thanks!

My chinchilla has just been diagnosed with this (giardia), she is 22 and I am very worried, she has been given baytril and i must confess the soft smelly stool has now ceased. She isn't eating from her dinner tray, so we are giving her critical care

any help would be massively appreciated

Back