Runny nose

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

OK. So Luna's keeping me on my toes. Last week I was giving her a bath and she got scared and dunked her head. She came up sputtering and soon after was lethargic and not her self but still eating fine. She also had a bit of a runny nose. Took her to the vet and she showed signs of URI or possibly the beginning of pneumonia. I got two weeks of antibiotics for her. She seemed to improve quick, started running more and acting more her self. We still have a week left on the antibiotics. I picked her up tonight for medicine and cuddles and her nose was dripping. The discharge is clear and watery and drippy. I am not sure what to do. She has a week left on the antibiotics. Is it just the end of an illness where all the mucus breaks up and drains or is she getting worse? She is still active. Still eating and is acting like herself. It is the beginning of another bitterly cold negative air temperature weather spell and I really don't want to have to take her outside if it is not absolutely necessary.

Miss Luna certainly does keep you on your toes.

I'd keep giving her the meds, hoping for exactly what you're hoping... that she's moved away from the yucky infection type discharge and into the clear stuff that will stop on its own. I'd also contact the vet to see if, perhaps, they'd like to either:
1. continue the meds for a bit longer than originally planned.
2. stop the meds as originally planned, wait a while (I think it's a week or so) until they're out of her system, then if discharge continues, get a sample for a culture & sensitivity test in case the original antibiotic wasn't quite the right one for the type of bug she has.

Luna is doing lots better, but still a little runny. We are going to stop medication on time and and see how is goes.

She was her normal self and is still eating and playing like a champ.

Back