Mazuri or Oxbow?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiftyKat

Crazy Cat & Rodent Lady!
Hello all!

I was just wanting everyone's opinions on Oxbow and Mazuri food. I've always heard they were both really good, but recently read in a couple of threads that Mazuri sometimes doesn't always agree with all chins. I know Mazuri is a little cheaper, and I just wanted to check all options before I officially ordered any food.

Thank you! :eek:D

I've fed chins both in the past and they haven't had gut issues (though I know some who have had issues with Mazuri), but I'm currently using Oxbow because it's easier for me to get ahold of.

I have used the Mazuri for over 15 years now and I have always found it to be a good food for my chins. I've never had any issues with it. They have very good customer service and I can always get it super fresh. If I am not happy with the feed for any reason, they will replace it as soon as possible...their customer service representative in my area is very responsive and always happy to help me if I need any help.

All I know of the Oxbow is that the chins on it tend to weigh less and that in my part of the world it is very very expensive.

I used Mazuri in the past and didn't have any problems with it but decided to switch to PRSC because it was more readily available and half the price. Never tried Oxbow, so I can't really compare the two.

I use Mazuri because I can get it locally by the pound or in 25lb bags. I usually get the big bag because I can see the mill date on it.

I have been using oxbow for 8 years for my boys, they did very well on it, i used to get 5lb packs for my 2 boys which lasted for about 2 months, i separated them into air tight bags and air tight container, but i found that when i was near the end, my boys didnt seem to take it as fast, maybe the smell has gone or something.
Then I got my girls who came with mazuri, I started giving a few pieces to my boys as treats, they went crazy over it, so I switched my boys over to mazuri too, and they've been clearing out the bowl quicker.

Anyone know nutritional wise, which one is better?

We used Mazuri for a long time and then started having soft poo issues with Marble. We switched to Oxbow and haven't had any problems since.

Okay, now I have another question related to this ... I found a website that sells Mazuri, but I'm not sure if it's the normal Mazuri? Is there off brand Mazuri? I was just worried becasue it did not have the picture of the little chinchilla on it. :p This place sells it for only $16.99 for a 25 pound bag and shipping is oly $2.50.

http://www.lumber2.com/Mazuri-Chinchilla-Diet-Food-p/pm0001471.htm

Also, the Ryerson's on their web page sell a type of feed that I'venever heard anyone discuss. I assume it's great food since they are a top breeder. Their feed is only $19 for a 50 pound bag, though I don't know about shipping. Would this feed be excellent also?

http://www.ryersonchinchilla.com/arc_009.htm

I know nothing about chinchillas is cheap, and I do want to get them the best food possible, just in my area there is none. Therefore, I will always have to purchase it on-line and am trying to find the best deal on the best food I can.

Thank you all for your help!

I agree with Ticklechin. When I was buying food online, I only bought it from people I knew I could trust.

The site you refer to with the Mazuri - the handling charge is $2.50. That is separate from shipping, so they'll charge additional for shipping. You can't figure the shipped price until you input all your information.

Agree with the above. Tradition chinchilla feed has been talked about quite a bit, if you do a search in the diet & nutrition section there are several threads that come up. Also, I believe only Mazuri and Oxbow are sold in smaller bags and you can find them in pet store chains. I've had to purchase a 50 lb. bag of Tradition from the Ryersons because my feed store failed me on a delivery once and even though the bag was $19, the shipping was was over $30 and I'm only 2 states away from them.

I buy Mazuri from Susan @ AZ chins. I've never had a problem with it. However, there wasn't a particular reason I chose Mazuri. It was readily available at Petsmart when I first got my chinchilla and it was a good feed. So I just went with it. I personally love the smell of it :p

Check if you have any farm co-op/feed stores around you. You can find Mazuri in huge bags there. Tradition, Mazuri and Oxbow are all good feeds.

Last edited:
I give my chin the Oxbow Deluxe Chinchilla pellets. She only eats a small amount each day and I've never had an issue.

When she was first left with us at 5 months oldshe was on some brand with the snacks in it and we transitioned her over to Oxbow after doing some research. Oxbow was the one I could get locally and it was a far better quality than the others in the pet store.

They have only recently started stocking the Mazuri occassionaly but I know you can't keep switching so I have stuck with Oxbow.

After doing some more searching it seems the actual Mazuri website seems to be the cheapest with the best shipping prices to my area.

Unfortunatly, I live in a some what small area (though it's pretty big to me cause I'm originally from a town of less than 500 people) in Northern Idaho where having exotic pets is basically unheard of. When I told a few people I was getting chinchillas I was shocked that quite a few had no idea what they were! Therefore, finding decent chinchilla food is hard. I looked at our local "mom n' pop" pet store and they had a few brands I'd never heard of. They barely had anything for chinchillas period. The only other store we have is PETCO and they only seem to carry the food with treats in it or once again unknown brands. Therefore, online is really my only option.

Now don't worry everyone who is thinking "what if they need a vet in that area?!" There is a university only about 20-30 minutesaway that have one of the best vet programs this side of the country. They have a whole department dedicated to exotic animals and my mom and I have great experience with them when it comes to our other pets. They are excellent and very knowledgeable in all fields. :)

Next millionth question .... how long does a 25 pound bag of food last two chinchillas?

It would last at least five months unless you are dumping the pellets out completely every day. If you can get a bag of feed that is a month or less old, you could use a full 25 lbs just before it gets to the point where you wouldn't want to use it anymore.

Hmmm ... Does anyone know if the actual Mazuri site sells fairly new bags? If they don't, then I will probably be ordering my food from one of you guys! Just like I said, trying to find the best and cheapest shipping wise for my area. I'm kinda shocked chinchillas food lasts that long. My guinea pig could of gone through a 5-pound bag of food a week if I would of let him!

I've never ordered directly from Mazuri, but the bag I picked up from Tractor Supply last week had a mill date 1/21/13, so it is super fresh. I would imagine anything you order from the manufacturer would be just as fresh, but you never know. Tractor Supply special orders it for me, so it's not just sitting on their shelves for months until it sells.

Back