I'm Moving to Canada!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olallie

< i poopz in herez
Im not sure how many of you know about my situation, I know I dont post alot about myself in this forum. But I wanted to share this with you guys!

I got a Letter in the Mail on Saturday, that says: I was granted a Permanent Resident Visa!!! Now all I have to do is send my passport in! Or hopefully take it to the embassy here in Los Angeles. (im not sure if i can take it in myself there or not yet)

I am just so excited!! After a few years of wanting to move to Vancouver to live with my then Fiance` now Husband, I am finally going! There is just so much stuff I have to get done! Pack my stuff, pack the chins, buy stuff for the chins, get rid of old things.

The worst part though, is that I have to pay off my car or get it financed in Canada in order to take it with me! Also, I have to quit my job. I have grown fond of my Boss, he is super nice and very considerate. The job duties i can live without, and also this job is a one position for the rest of your life job. But also I am afraid to quit because I have medical Insurance and a steady income, and a chance to go to Tokyo. But that's another story.

The really cool part was that My Husband was here when I got the letter. We are so happy!

This morning I dropped him off at the airport to go back to canada, and i was thinking i could hardly wait till I can see him everyday. We've been together since 2001! So many years...

Anyway, Thank you guys for reading this! I just had to share. :D
~Olallie AKA: Brenna

Wow, congrats! That is exciting for to you finally be able to live with your hubby!!! :dance3:

Good luck with everything, sounds like a lot. lol
When are you planning on moving?

Thank you for the congrats!

I am planning on moving in April, pending i get my documents back by then. Which i hope because we have planned a wedding ceremony for april 10th.... O.O
they said it would take 3 weeks, so im hoping i can just go to the embassy and get it done in one day.... I still gotta call and ask.... better do that now!

Welcome to the dark side! jk

Congratz! We're still trying to get my fiance up here from the States. We're planning to get married soon, and we're talking with an immigration lawyer.

Best of luck with everthing!

congrats! Wow, I cannot imagine not being able to live with your husband. Me and my bf live 5 hours apart, and I cannot imagine doing this when we get married.

Trust me its been a long road, being apart from him. I know there are somethings that have changed. But our love is still strong, haha that sounds so cliche`!

I am bringing my chins with me! I have health certs for both of them. I went to the vet this past week, and they told me i needed to take them in 10 days before i move, but the vet looked them over felt them up, and issued me a pair of health certs and told me if i needed a different date to call her and she'll give me a new one haha, do chins need a specific date for health certificates? i didnt see a time line on the website, and i know they dont really need them.but just in case i get stopped at the border i have all that ready.

Do any of you know what the Border people will not let through? I've read here sometimes Hay, and shavings. How about wood chews? or Shelves from the cage?

Congratulations! My husband is a customs officer so I know how long and difficult the process can be. And kudos to you for going about it the legal way. My husband just told me about a couple that didn't go about it legally and the girl was booted back to Canada and the guy to the US and they won't be granted a visa now. Needless to say they weren't very happy about it! They were engaged to be married...now they ruined their future together.

Back to you - congratulations and happy trails!

Omgosh that's so sad. I can't imagine my husband not being apart of my life. I was so scared for the whole processing time, i didn't want to go for an interview, because i was afraid i might say something that would make them not grant me a visa. Its a good thing i didn't have to go, i would have peed my pants.

Jenn- does your husband know anything about bringing your vehicle into canada?

Omgosh that's so sad. I can't imagine my husband not being apart of my life. I was so scared for the whole processing time, i didn't want to go for an interview, because i was afraid i might say something that would make them not grant me a visa. Its a good thing i didn't have to go, i would have peed my pants.

Jenn- does your husband know anything about bringing your vehicle into canada?

I'll ask him - he works swing shift this week so he won't be home until close to 1 a.m.

@ash- we got married Oct 2008, and we sent the paper work Nov. 10th -ish. And On feb 27th I got my permanent residency visa acceptance. woot. I am moving to the Vancouver area, thanks for the link.

@jenn- Thank you so much!

That's not long of a wait at all for the paperwork(though I'm sure it felt like forever). I've heard of people waiting upwards of 18 months to get their residency through that route! And very welcome for the link. Good luck with moving up and finally starting your life together fully with the hubby!

Congrats and welcome to the north. I hope you'll like it there, I've never went to Vancouver but it seems a very nice place.

Congrats!! I'd love to move to Canada.

My uncle married his Canadian wife and had to wait 3 years for health benefits from the country, to the best of my memory. He, his wife, and their twins have dual citizenship to the US and Canada. Another uncle and his family have dual with Greece and the US - and a cousin and his family with Japan and the US (not sure what the process is in Japan, but he has a job there and a house in both countries) so I have a lot of international family.

Wow, that a lot of dual citizenship. We are looking at trying to get his citizenship for the US too. But We wanted mine first before we started any of that other stuff.

As far as I know about the health benefits, Im not sure about the 3 years thing, but i do know my husband has to support me for three years after I land.

What do you mean he has to support you? You can't work? Or just that you couldn't get any assistance before then?

Ok, I've got some information for you... :)

If your headed for Vancouver, you'll be just north of me - I live just north of Bellingham with is just south of the border!...

To export your vehicle and to get the best advice, you need to call the port of entry that you will be crossing to get into Canada.

Otherwise, here is some info - www.cbp.gov has a export vehicle worksheet that you can download. It has to be filled out and can be faxed to the port that you will be crossing. The export process takes 72 hours before your car can be exported into Canada and can only be done M-F between 8:00-3:30. In addition to the worksheet, you will also need to have the bill of sale and the original title. Copies can be given in advance to meet the 72 hour requirement, but you will need to hand over the originals to US Custom at the port you are crossing. This is all explained in detail when you visit the cbp website. If you own the vehicle outright, your good to go. If there is a lien on the car, there is additional paperwork you will have to fill out from the lienholder (bank) so that you can get the original title to export the car.

I hope this helps. Again, either visit the website, or call the port you will be crossing at to get any questions answered. Good luck!!!

WOW, that is good information. THANK YOU SO MUCH JENN!

@TSK- well in case I can't find work, he has to support me, for example: put a roof over my head, feed me, and clothe me. I can work with a permanent resident visa, just finding a job is the issue.

Back