Pairing Chinchillas

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia329

Hello!

I am new to this forum and have questions about pairing chinchillas. I have been a chinchilla owner for 11 years to my Walter. Last year, 2 years ago I went through the process of pairing him with a 2 year old male chinchilla, Theo. A month ago Theo passed away suddenly from facial swelling, possibly from a bug bite. Walter seems to be doing okay despite losing his best buddy. I got him a Chinbuddie stuffed chinchilla to cuddle with since I knew he would be lonely. Although he seems to be doing okay, he really did enjoy the company of another chinchilla. He was the alfa and sorted out his dominance issues with Theo which went really well which is why I am reluctant to get another chinchilla although I want to. Is it possible that chinchillas can be paired more than once..or will Walter not take to another chinchilla besides Theo? Does anyone have experience with this and could give me advice on what to do?

i replied to most of that in your other thread. As for being paired more then once; yes a chin can b paired more then once in there life. It might not be the greatest idea to take a chin from one cage mate directly to a different one (all alive). But in terms of there cage mate passing, and given some time, try to bond them with another chin; yes that can be done if they two get along.

Oh yeah you can pair them up with many chins over the corse of their life they can live to be 20. I have paired and repaired many chins myself and I have done it a few times. It does help to know your chins personality. Some are grumpy and need more time to adjust to a new friend others will welcome anyone to snuggle.

I have had a few that I just found it best to have them alone but with a friend in the next cage over. Not to say they could not be paired up with another.

I would work with a rescue to find an adult that would pair up well with him.

Back