Cagemate problem?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julia329

Hello!

I have been a chinchilla owner for 11 years to my male chinchilla, Walter. 2 years ago I paired him with a 2 year old chinchilla, Theo. Theo passed away suddenly from what we think was a bug bite on his nose, it happened really fast & despite efforts to save him, he passed away.

Walter has been taking the loss of his friend really well, no problems eating or drinking etc..I got him a Chinbuddie which he cuddles with and I have him housed in a 3 level ferret nation cage. The bottom portion of the cage is home to my 2nd chinchilla Oliva, which was supposed to be an "Oliver".

Although they are still bunked, I believe they can still communicate although they cannot see each other, but I cannot help to think that Walter needs a new friend. He is certainly an alfa male and I think that Theo's submissive personality was a great match for Walter, but I am afraid of matching him with another rescue. Do you guys think that having him bunked with Oliva is enough or would he benefit from another chinchilla? I'm just nervous he won't take to another chinchilla besides Theo. Does anyone have advice?

You seem to already have the idea. There is no way to know if two chins will get along until you try usually. And if you want to try then you have to be prepared for it to not go well and be able to house them separately. And even if two chins do get along, it is possible they can turn on each other one random day, so you always need the ability to separate them at a moments notice.
Some chins do better in pairs. Some chins are better as loan wolfs. Its really up to you to decide.

Where are you located? I have many Chins I am re-homing I bet I would have a male for you but I am in Tahoe CA.

I have had 30 Chins come into my home. I have gotten to many pretty well. I know some work and some do not. I have done loads of research too. I do feel Chins do best in pairs. Yeah they will be fine alone but another helps them groom helps them feel safe.

Yes your chin can find another friend. I would look into a rescue or breeder. Breeders are often looking to re-home older chins. Tell them you want a submissive chin for a older male. I was lucking and had my pick of 30 chins. I made a match out of a older alpha male and a younger (but not too young) submissive male. They are the best Chins in the world. They sleep together all the time. It is too cute.

Is your female alone? If you put the cages side by side they can see each other. That would help. It gives them a friend with out having to give them a cage mate. If they can not see the one above them so I feel it does no good. You know up stairs neighbors are just annoying.

If you want another chin start looking.

Back