Not using a wheel or toys.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steffw89

I have just (4 days ago) brought home a little 2 month old boy who was lovely tempered and always exploring at his old home even though he was disowned by his own mum and raised by an adopted mummy hedgehog.

He seems to be settling in fine, more than happy to sit on me and sleep or have a wander around me when sat on the floor with him. But i cannot pick him up out of his cage without him balling up and huffing.

What i am most worried about is his apparent lack of activity in his cage, he sleeps pretty much all the time only getting up to poop and eat (i have yet to see him drink). He is not interested in any of his toys and goes nowhere near his wheel. I am really worried about this lack of activity and not having seen him drink yet, perhaps i am just over-reacting as he is still settling in but just would like some advice! Thank you for any help.

Hello!

Bearing in mind I am no expert as I am also a first time Hedgie owner I will offer up my opinion from what I have read on here and my own experience.

I have had my baby roughly a month now and when I go to take him out of his cage he huffs and balls too. Nowadays he doesn't ball up as tightly or for long but he still uses his protection in those first instants. Keep in mind it's like a giant someone suddenly plucking you out of your bed. Im sure I would ball up! Try talking calmly to him for a minute before you get him out. I talk to him on my way over and whilst i'm sitting down next to his cage, then I open the door to his cage and sit there and talk for a moment longer so that he knows that the cage is open but that it's just me.

RE his lack of activity, my baby also slept most of the time and when I got him out he would just sleep on me. He is starting to come out a tad more now but nothing major, when I get him out of his cage he doesn't want to sit still but inside he just hides under his blanket.
Give it some time and be persistant is my advice.

Hopefully he will realise how much you love him soon enough (i tell Filbert all the time).

:)

Four days in a new home is not a very long time at all for a hedgehog. It can take a hedgehog a while to adjust. You just changed everything he knew in his life. Don't be surprised if his behavior is a little defensive for a while. I'm not talking just a week, it could take a couple of weeks or even a month for him to start to really adjust and trust you.

Hedgehogs require a lot of patience. But they also do best if you get them in a routine. They quickly learn when to expect certain things to happen.

Babies do sleep a lot, but they should also be active when they are awake. Check the temperature you are keeping your hedgehog at. What temperature are you keeping his cage? If it is on the low side (22.5 C), try bumping it up a degree. Some hedgehogs need it just a little warmer to feel comfortable.

Congratulations and keep us updated on your little one. We do require images :).

Yeah I know it's not been a long time enough for him to settle in yet I was just a bit worried about his lack of activity and running. The temperature is definitely warm enough it's the warmest room in the house by a long way as all the central hearing pipes run through it.

Having just come in from work Ive just spent half an hour cleaning his cage talking to him and I got him out with his bed onto a fleece blanket I use when he is on the floor and introduced him to a snuggie I've just bought. He seemed to like it no hesitation and impossible to get him out lol. When I brought him home the breeder gave me the small box he had been living in until I could get a cage as it was last minute do I am waiting for his proper cage to arrive which I know will be even more stress as he gets used to that and all the new things in it.

I am slightly worried as he has gotten into the habit of biting he obviously recognises me as when I talk he uncurls now and lets me pick him up but he licks my hands continuously and nibbles but has bitten me properly twice to other. Maybe my hands taste different? Hoping this won't become the norm. I got in touch with the breeder to give them an update and they said not o worry because besides the normal stress he is due for his main quilling any time now. Will just have to keep my fingers crossed as I really falling for this little guy.

Hey thanks for asking, he is definitely much more comfortable in his cage, loving his flying saucer if the lovely state it is in every morning is anything to go by. he is on a mixture of wet and dry cat food at the minute as when i try without the wet food he doesnt eat much and im slightly worried it might be a bit too hard for him. he is doing really well with litter training as well, not quite in the litter tray but sort of scattered around the edge, hoping he will move actually into it soon would make life alot easier lol.

Bonding is still a bit difficult with him, especially now he is so grouchy with his quilling but i get him out every night that i can which is usually 5 a week and he sits in his snuggle pouch on my lap and most of the time snores quite happily for an hour and then ventures out, he is still very jumpy if i move my arms curling up and huffing but my hands he seems to have gotten used to so he comes out and has a bit of a wander sniffing and annointing from my clothes then goes back in. on the nights i cant get him out at night i make sure i talk to him as i clean his wheel and fill his food so he knows i am still around lol. handling is my big issue at the minute he is fine when sat on a blanket on my hands or in his snuggle pouch but if i pick him up with bare hands he has taken to curling up - with my fingers trapped inside his ball a few times lol but we are getting there. i dont put him back in his cage until i have handled him and he has calmed down so he knows being huffy and balling up wont get him what he wants.

sorry about the essay lol. we are still getting used to eachother but i think we are getting into a rhythm together

Back