Is this normal sexual behavior in my chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JazzshabammAndRio

My chinchilla finds the need to hump everything, his bed, my arm, etc. He does this multiple times a day/week. He also spends massive amounts of time "cleaning for fur rings" on his genitalia, while it is possible that he is just cleaning himself, he does it so often throughout the day that it seems abnormal. He is two years old, and has done this for about 8ish months. Is this normal, should I be concerned, and is there anyway I can get him not to try to mate with my arm when I reach into his cage?

ZZ does the same thing. He calms down once you start giving him scritches or pick him up. He only does it when he's in his cage too. Never when he's out at playtime.

I read the question in the title for the thread and said, "yes". Male chins do these things and do them often. Cleaning themselves is actually a good thing even if it looks disturbing, it keeps things how they should be. Some do it more than others, some are a little more discrete. It sounds like your little guy started doing this right about the time that males start doing it. It's very very very normal!!

I made Rio a little fleece pillow that I stuffed with fleece scraps from making his cage liners and it has made a huge difference. He uses that for his humping now, even when I reach in his cage. He has also began to cuddle it when he's laying down and napping. Thank you again for the suggestions! :)

Back