Does it matter whether you feed timothy hay or alfalfa?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnneMarie

I was wondering whether it mattered nutritionally whether you used timothy or alfalfa. Can you give both for variety? Is there any other type of hay or grass that chinchillas are fond of? Thank you! You guys are so helpful!

I also just found out about orchard grass and I am wondering about that too. Which of the three is best? Thank you =)

Timothy hay should be your go to choice. Alfalfa has too much protein and calcium that can lead to urinary problems, but it is good to give to kits and pregnant moms. If you have an alfalfa bases pellet, I would recommend timothy hay. You can still give alfalfa to your chins, just make sure it isn't a lot and that there is more timothy than alfalfa. Orchard hay is another chin favorite. Just always make sure timothy is what makes up the bulk of the hay. I mix orchard and timothy all the time for my boys =)

Timothy hay should be your go to choice. Alfalfa has too much protein and calcium that can lead to urinary problems, but it is good to give to kits and pregnant moms. If you have an alfalfa bases pellet, I would recommend timothy hay. You can still give alfalfa to your chins, just make sure it isn't a lot and that there is more timothy than alfalfa. Orchard hay is another chin favorite. Just always make sure timothy is what makes up the bulk of the hay. I mix orchard and timothy all the time for my boys =)

Thank you so much! Is the diet very similar to guinea pigs? When I was little I had guinea pigs and the hay requirements were the same. I read somewhere on the forum that guinea pigs were chinchillas closest relative, is this true?

Any type of grass hay should do, Timothy is just the most common. Legume hays such as alfalfa are very rich and should be fed in moderation if at all.

Chins and Guinea pigs actually aren't related at all. They are very similar to horses in terms of anatomy and dietary needs, however. Chins are a rodent and guinea pigs are not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a feed store that sells a mixture of orchard timothy mix I only get that if the timothy isn't that great.

I have to agree with everyone moderation on alfalfa hay.

Thank you all for the information. I will use Oxbow timothy and the other as treats.

Back