Chinchilla losing fur?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ktscott044

My chinchilla is pretty old, about 10. In the past couple years her fur is falling out. She has always been a single chinchilla but we keep her in a gigantic cage which she loves. Her fur loss starts from her neck all the way down to her tail. I kept bathing her in her dust bath and it isn't helping. I read some forums saying to comb her with a flea comb because it may settle it, it didn't work. I tried giving her vitamin C pills per vet, but she won't eat them. I'm at a total loss at what to do and the vets don't know anything more to do. I'm very scared for my Chinchilla because she has no fur. It shows the black underfur and she is a charcoal chinchilla but she is very light. It seems that when I hold her it comes out in chunks. I really need some help, I have no idea what to do! Usually her fur is about the tip of your finger deep but she is practically bald. I see her itch and take out some hairs. Maybe she has bugs? Please help ASAP!!!

I know her ears are black and like sandpaper. Her stomach is a hot pink and dry and the bottom her her feet are broken and cracked. But she seems dry and scaley,

Can you take some pictures? It sounds like she needs to see an experienced vet as soon as possible for a skin scrape and medication. She should not be bald or patchy.

IMG_4939.jpeg This is a picture of her. You can see where her hair loss starts and ends.

IMG_0425.jpeg This is a picture of her leg where it seems to be the worst. You can't really tell how red it is in the picture but it's very flaky.

IMG_5252.jpeg This is a picture of her skin where it looks red and highly irritated. It almost looks like she has dandruff,

IMG_5252.jpeg This is a picture of her skin where you can see the redness and it looks like she has dandruff?

IMG_0425.jpeg This is a picture of her leg where it seems worst. It's very red, although you can't tell in the photo. It's very dry and flaky like she is constantly peeling.

IMG_4939.jpeg This is a picture of her. The darker fur is where she has lost it all. It's very short and not dense at all.

We have her trained to a sort of litter pan. We put wood chippings in it and maybe she's allergic to something they put with the wood chippings? We tried all different kinds but her fur still isn't growing. And she isn't eating properly. The eating just started. She won't eat the pellets from her food, just the charms. They don't sell many brands of chinchilla food out here so we're limited.

When you are posting, click "Go Advanced" instead of "Quick Reply". Type whatever you want to say and then scroll down to "Manage Attachments" and click that. Click "Browse" to select the picture or pictures you want to add. Click "Upload". And then post.

Back