We love you Ppunk

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PpunkTheHedgehog

I guess I joined not too long ago initially because I was curious of things to do for an older hedgehog. I knew his time was coming, perhaps in a year or in a few months, but he was over 5 years old and slowing down. Turns out I really enjoyed the community here and posting on forums every now and then about hedgehogs, and getting to talk to other owners since I'm the only person I actually know in person that owns one.

But, very early Saturday morning, Ppunk passed away after we stayed with him all night. There was a big snowstorm that hit, the vet was closed, and I'm starting to believe my mom that even if we had gotten him to the vet, there wouldn't have been much to do. I'm not sure what happened, something hit him and took him quickly, because it wasn't 36 hours before that he was his usual self. I won't go into details right now, maybe in the future if I ever get curious as to what took him from us. I guess I just didn't expect it to come on so suddenly, or be so painful to watch him fade.

But he was a really great hedgehog, my first and only, and he was probably one of my best friends for the past 5 years as I went through all those awkward transition periods between high school and college. I mean, my friends and I have joked around that if I ever got married suddenly, he would probably be the ring bearer or my maid of honor. (He'd look so pretty in a dress) Sure he has always been a pretty grumpy guy, only ever opening up to me and later my boyfriend when he stayed in his room, but he was a sweetie to those he did open up to, which I think just made it all worth it even more. I know to a lot of people, small animals are just something fuzzy to play with, but I know you guys will know how much this really does hurt when you become so attached to them. I mean, I've had all sorts of pets before and they all have to pass on eventually, but it doesn't make it any easier. But I take solace in the fact that he did actually live a pretty decently long life, even though to us mere humans it seems so short.

My boyfriend helped me bury him yesterday, and is taking me out today to do some "snow therapy" as I call it. We're going to attempt to build a snow-hedgehog with the 9-12 inches we got, so perhaps I'll post a picture of that later if it turns out.
1456629_10202497328011615_1200334552_n.jpg

So Ppunk, thanks for giving me a great friend that was always there, during a time that I lost a lot of friends and grew out of touch with family. Unlike everyone else, you never really did mind that I spelled your name with two P's. And I like to think you laughed with me at all the weird faces we got when I explained that the first P was silent. :p

Last edited:
Ppunk, I can tell you were loved and in good hands. 5 years is a long time and all too short at the same time. I know you will find good friends across the Rainbow Bridge.

I'm sorry for your loss :( Sending positive vibes.

I am sorry for your loss. Five years of love is a good life for a little guy. RIP Ppunk, sending healing thoughts to your mom.

I am so sorry for your loss. Ppunk was a very luck little guy and you were lucky to have such a special friend. You and your boyfriend are in my thoughts.

Back