Are all types of canned insects safe?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samurai

I plan to get a rescue hog at some point this year so this is the first of probably many questions.

I know people feed canned mealies and crickets, so I am wondering if anyone feeds the other varieties of canned insects availible eg canned caterpillers and snails? I think the brand is zoomed so the same brand as the mealies etc. The caterpilers are obviously a variety that are edible to other animals eg reptiles and I would think the snails are capyive bred and parasite free but would look further into this if neccesary.

I know our native british wild hedgehogs eat caterpillers, snails etc so I don't see why there would be any issues (I'm aware they are not exactly the same animal).

I also plan to feed mealworm beetles as I have a breeding colony of mealies at home. Live crickets and mealworms too of course, along with dry cat food, boiled egg, mince etc

Canned insects are a bit tricky. I've purchased them in the past - canned crickets. They seem to be just fine when you first open the can, but then they go bad/stinky rather quickly - even if left in the fridge. I, personally, don't think it's worth it. I'd rather go with live ones.

There are also freeze dried insects on the market. There have been several reports of them causing blockages in the digestive tract. So we tend to stay away from them.

I'm not 100% sure about caterpillars -- I think I recalling reading that that's a no-no. But I don't recall the source (or how trustworthy it is). I wouldn't base decisions about a pet hedgehog entirely on what works with a wild one. For instance, tea tree oil seems to be just fine for native British hedgies, but is not okay for our little captive African hedgies. I'll let you know if I run across anything more on that front... but would definitely good to check that one out a bit more thoroughly.

Great that you have a breeding colony of mealies at home. Your hedgie will likely enjoy all stages of the mealie. Crickets too... and the cat kibble, and boiled egg...

Back