not using wheel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chik_lets0715

I though there was a search function to find older posts? I haven't been on here in quite awhile and I'm not sure if I'm just not seeing something right in front of me. Sorry if this is a repeat.

My little girl is a little over six months old and quite the character and attitude (reminds me alot of me! ;) ) but she seems happy so I'm not worried just curious.
She always used to run on her wheel, I only ever saw her run on it once but the mess that gathered on it made it quite obvious that she was using it. Lately she hasn't been using her wheel at all (it's always clean) unless she has just decided to stop messing on it which I see as not likely. Any idea what could cause this, do they just get tired of things and therefore she's just taking a break for a bit. (If it makes any difference it's one of those saucer wheels)

Also she is around 50-60 grams (she doesn't sit still even in a bag) and I read about hedgehogs being 550 grams on here (people say they are big, but that's still a 500 gram difference) Is she supposed to be that little? When do they finish growing? She eats all the time and she always has lots of food. I'm not concerned about either of these because as I said she seems happy and it's not like she lost weight she just is little

One of my boys stopped wheeling for no apparent reason a while ago. I was inspecting him to see if I could find out why, and I realized that one of his nails had grown right around and was touching the pad of his foot! I clipped it and he has been happily wheeling ever since. Have a look at her nails and see if one of them might be getting a bit too long.

My girl did the same thing for awhile at that age. Someone else on here told me to just wash her wheel in warm/hot water. sometimes the hedgies won't like the smell of other cleaners we use on it. Seemed to work!

Back