Hay & cage biting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bouncer36

Hi my chin Yoshi won't eat eat his hay I've tried all kinds. And now he has starting to bite his cage bars at night what can I do to help him or what's wrong with him?

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

I have a few thoughts. What do you have the hay in? some chins like the hay in different containers, some want it in a bowl, others want it hanging, etc. If you are just putting in on the ground it's likely getting peed on, and they wont eat soiled hay. Also have you tried doing a hay mix? Some chins get bored with just a single hay, you could try something like foraging hay, apparently chins go nuts over it. Is the stopping eating hay something new? If so it could be a sign of a tooth problem, has he been to the vet? Has is weight changed at all?

Biting the bars is normally out of boredom or frustration. Does he have plenty of variety of toys in his cage? Not just chew toys, but also shredding toys? and hanging and toss toys? Have you changed when he gets out for playtime? or shortened his playtime? Are you paying as much attention to him as always? I know the holidays can get busy, but the chin need to get just as much attention as always.

His hay is in a hay bag. No haven't tried mix hay. Yea it is kinda of new behavior that been going on a wile no he never been to vet. Been telling my hubby that I need to take him to the vet to check his teeth. He has a lot of toys to chew and to play with. Can they have paper towel roll? He doesn't come out to play in leave the door open but he chooses not to come out. He let's me pet him but I've never tried to pick him up. Yes he been getting the same amount of attention

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Chins can also get bored with toys, it's good to change them out/rotate them regularly, like you would a dog. Take the old ones out (put them aside if still good) and put new ones in (or old ones you took out a few swaps ago) a few times a month.

Paper towel rolls are ok, so long as it doesn't have any glue on it, and so long as your chin doesn't eat cardboard. Most chins just chew up and shred cardboard, but if swallowed it can cause a blockage in their gut.

Back