Not so keen on playtime

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spodumena

I wondered if anyone had any experience with chins that weren’t so interested in playtime outside their cage? Our chins are about 7 months old. We have tried playtime once (a bit after they turned 6 months old), but it was rather traumatic for all involved: each chin went into one of the wooden huts, so we transported them into the cardboard playpen in the kitchen (they normally live in the living room). They had spent quite a bit of time in the kitchen before as it was cooler during the summer — so the room was not entirely unfamiliar to them. We had familiar (and new) toys and chews set up on the tiled floor. Clodius, who is generally more adventurous anyway, took ages to emerge from a tunnel he took shelter in, and Milo, who normally lets his ballsy little brother do everything first, took even longer to come out of his house. They spent most of the time frozen. They eventually warmed up *a little* to the experience, but it ended with one of them barking, which I took to mean they wanted to go back home, and getting them back into their boxes to transport them was also quite tricky. I just feel like neither of them enjoyed it much. We certainly didn't. Felt really bad that we made them that uncomfortable. :cry3:

I want to try again, but I’m wondering how long to leave it before we give it another go. They were super tired the day after and seemed generally a little out of sorts (I didn’t blame them). So we left them to their own devices to let them get over the experience. They seem perfectly happy to romp around in their cage, but everyone else seems to have such successful playtimes and I really do want to give them the opportunity for more exercise since they don’t have a wheel.

I’m wondering if others have rocky starts too and this is fairly normal, or are my chins just *massive* home-bodies?! Did your chins take quickly to outside cage time, or (like most things) does it just depend on the chin? The breeder we got them from doesn’t let his chins out at all, and they don’t have wheels. They all seemed super social and it’s clear he interacts with them a lot. But our boys are unfamiliar with this process and have never seen it done. Will they learn to enjoy it…? And are there things we can do to make it easier on them?

I think to some extent it does depend on the chins how much they like playtime out of the cage. Some chins are more brave, others more fearful, even rearranging the cage can be traumatizing to some chins. Chins don't actually need out of cage time unless you have them in a very tiny cage. The first time coming out of the cage can be very scary for fearful chins, they are prey animals so wide open space (bigger then the space they are use to in their cage) can seem scary. I would first try a small area, something like maybe a 3'x3' or 4' x 4' square, then as they get comfortable with that make the area bigger over time, until it's the size you want. Just make sure you give them things to hide in, and they will learn after a few times out that there is nothing in this new play area that is going to attack them. I'd wait until they are back to acting normal again, then try again (but not the same day).

one of my girls hides in her hut as well. Wants nothing to do with coming out usually; unless its for a dust bath. Chins are sometimes like that tho. The small space if a safe zone for them, where they feel protected. Coming out into a big room can feel like being massively exposed.

I do get the distinct impression that the first time they do anything they’re wary of it, and then it grows on them, which makes sense. The first time we were doing work on their cage (putting in extra shelves etc.) they went into hiding, and the next time we couldn’t get their fuzzy butts off the ledges and hammocks we were working on. Totally fearless. They were so excited that they were getting more *stuff*.

Thanks, Amethyst — That’s a good idea. I’ll try making the pen a bit smaller for them next time, and possibly wait to sit in it until some point in the future. They’ve got plenty of hiding spots — definitely made sure of that!

Godofgods - do you still give her the opportunity to run around, or do you tend to let her hang out in her cage since she seems more content there?

I’m debating whether it’s worth the hassle of moving the cage through to the playroom and figuring out a way to allow them to hop out of their own accord, if they feel like it. But as it’s an elevated cage, it’s a bit tricky figuring out a safe way for them to hop down. I would rather them get used to the process of getting into the carrier/house and being transported through, but maybe that’s asking too much at this stage…?

Godofgods - do you still give her the opportunity to run around, or do you tend to let her hang out in her cage since she seems more content there?

I do let her out. Mainly because its time to clean out there cage and fleece in there. And its easier with them out. Plus they time to run about. - I just have to do it without shoes on and be very careful; check before i take any step.

I’m debating whether it’s worth the hassle of moving the cage through to the playroom and figuring out a way to allow them to hop out of their own accord, if they feel like it. But as it’s an elevated cage, it’s a bit tricky figuring out a safe way for them to hop down. I would rather them get used to the process of getting into the carrier/house and being transported through, but maybe that’s asking too much at this stage…?

I had similar issues when i first started trying to let my chins out. I had my FN cage next to the area they were going to play at. Some got into the habbit that when i opened up the door and knelt down that they could run down my leg and over to the play area. But had to be very careful they didnt get half way and try to run else where.

After that i found it much easier to have the cages actually in that play area. As it was, i had a small room with the table in it (off the kitchen) and then the living room starting with two FN cages, then my dads computer area. Since the table was nothing but a storage area for his documents and stuff anyway; it actually worked out well both ways when i switched the table and the chin cages. His papers were next to his comp and the chins where in the play area. Which made it much easier to get them out.

Since then iv moved a few times. But now my chins have there own small room. None of my current chins like being picked up so even if they want to come out, they run and hide cause they dont want to be picked up to move outside of the cage. Certain chins will actually just out on there own. One will even jump back in on her own some times lol.

But Sophia doesnt rly like being picked up at all. Or touched, or mess with, or anything... But.. she is a smart one. Normally we try to train them or get them used to something, but she more so trained me in how to move her. When it is time for there dust bath (in a pen outside of the cage so dust isnt every where in there) she will hide cause she doesnt want to be picked up. But she will wait until i present her with the dust bath. Then she will hope in and le3t me move her out of the cage. The more interesting part is when i come back to put them back in the cage, she will see me, know its time, run into the dust bath house and wait for me until i move her back. And she always does it for almost a year now. Shes a smart girl.

I had similar issues when i first started trying to let my chins out. I had my FN cage next to the area they were going to play at. Some got into the habbit that when i opened up the door and knelt down that they could run down my leg and over to the play area. But had to be very careful they didnt get half way and try to run else where.

Yes! I keep reading about chins jumping out of their cages, so I'm incredibly paranoid when one of them comes to the door to hang out. They're normally pretty cautious, and need to inspect everything with their whiskers before they try a jump, but it sounds like it's not uncommon for chins to take a blind leap of faith beyond the cage...?
But now my chins have there own small room. None of my current chins like being picked up so even if they want to come out, they run and hide cause they dont want to be picked up to move outside of the cage. Certain chins will actually just out on there own. One will even jump back in on her own some times lol.

Ah, a dedicated chin room is the dream one day! You're right, maybe it's worth inconveniencing us for the sake of the chins and just wheeling them through so the cage is in the play area. I do wish cages came with more robust wheels. They really take the cheap way out.

But Sophia doesnt rly like being picked up at all. Or touched, or mess with, or anything... But.. she is a smart one. Normally we try to train them or get them used to something, but she more so trained me in how to move her. When it is time for there dust bath (in a pen outside of the cage so dust isnt every where in there) she will hide cause she doesnt want to be picked up. But she will wait until i present her with the dust bath. Then she will hope in and le3t me move her out of the cage. The more interesting part is when i come back to put them back in the cage, she will see me, know its time, run into the dust bath house and wait for me until i move her back. And she always does it for almost a year now. Shes a smart girl.
Sophia sounds like an amazing little chinchilla. She likes her routine, doesn't she! The stories I read on here of chins learning things, and essentially training their humans to do things to their liking constantly amaze me! Milo is our brainy one. He clearly learns things quicker than his brother, but he doesn't liked being touched either. Meanwhile, his brother takes a couple tries before he gets something down, but is much more affectionate and emotional. It's so great having two; for a first timer you see straight away how very different they all are.

At least for FN/CN cages, yea they do take the cheap way on a number of points. Wheels, trays, shelves.. especially on the 182. And speaking of 182.. design! There customer service, replacement part costs.. - However it is still one of the better cages for many ppl. :hmm:

Of the chins iv had that would jump out of a FN cage, all but one would hesitate and examine the area first. One of them however, momma Sophie (sophia's mother) will just come up and jump out without any hesitation.

Chin rooms are nice, but you quickly learn theres a good bit more to it then just 'heres a room, enjoy'. At least for mine. - Mine liked to chew the paint off the walls in a crappy apartment i was in years ago and eat it. And girls like like to pee outside there cage which is really annoying. Since i have male cages and female cages i have to pay attention to where i put them. Iv had a few males that could not be allowed to see the girls. Making sure doors dont have a gap for them to fit under. Electrical outlets/wires. All things iv had to deal with. - And, in case you ever are able to get them a room, i highly highly highly highly suggest NO CARPET. It is overwhelmingly irritating as **** to clean up. A lot more time, a lot more effort. Cant use a regular vacume because the hose is not wide enough. Everything will get stuck in there. I have carpet now and i hate it so much. I miss the ease and simplicity of grabbing a broom, sweeping it all up and being done each day.

A FN is the dream at some point, I think. I’m already getting tired of trying to cram my upper body into the cage to interact with the chins. And I can’t realistically practice trying to pick them up with a door this small. Just from reading the old threads on here, the FN seems like it has a lot of selling points. They seem to be even more expensive in the UK unfortunately! So it may be a while...

And thank you very much for the tips — will definitely keep no carpet in mind for the future. Hope your chins are OK after sneakily eating paint?! No repercussions?

We had another try at out-of-the-cage playtime last night and it was a definite improvement on the last time. Wheeled the cage out, and they seemed to appreciate having the option of going outside, without the pressure. No barking. They took their time and eventually both came out for some exploring. I actually think they weren’t ready to go back in, but they very quickly let us know that we had made an oversight safety-wise (them trying to jump on the rack under the cage = not. good.) so we had to get them back in. Chins have a talent for finding the one thing you overlook…

they will find 20 things you over looked all the time. Even in a perfect room you still have to watch out with them.

I havnt seen any bad effects from the paint they ate. Its been 3-5 years now. But still not something i would advise'

Back