Possible new chin owner

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trish57

Hi everyone.

My name is Trish, and I am contemplating getting a chin. I have wanted one for eons, but since I used to live in a condo that got too warm, it wasn't really an option for me. I am in house now, and was thinking about rescuing a local chin who is about 5 years old. They *think* it's a male. (I take that to mean it's never been vetted or they would know for sure.)

I would have to keep the chinchilla in the basement, at least in the summer months. It has a finished room that he would be in. Being that it's summer, and a hot one at that, the basement is really the only option. I keep the temp in the house at 73, but the back bedroom where I had planned on putting him gets up to 78 degrees, so I know that is out. Anyway, I put a thermometer in the basement, and the highest it has gotten is 69 degrees with 59% humidity. I think the humidity is a bit high. What do you think?

Also, I'm a little concerned that he would be all alone most of every day, with play time of hopefully about an hour each evening. (I have a very long work day, so I may not get to do more than a half hour.) I just feel bad that he would be so isolated for 23 hours a day - that would really be 4 days a week, when I'm commuting to work. The other 3 days I could spend more time with him.

Should I take the plunge, or pass on him? I know it is a huge responsibility, so I want to do the right thing.

Thanks for your advice! Much appreciated :)

Trish

Unless you live in the arctic (were it doesn't get above 70F outside) you are probably going to need an air conditioner to maintain proper temp and humidity. You need to have the temp below 70F with the humidity below 50%, the higher the temp the lower the humidity needs to be. If the temp gets up to 75-80F you run the risk of the chinchilla dying from heat stroke, but it can happen at lower temps if the humidity is above 50%. Also if the humidity is high the chin can get moldy. If even on the hottest day it stays below 70F then you might be ok without an AC, but you may still need a dehumidifier to get the humidity down.

As for being alone, he should be ok so long as you can spend at least an hour a day with him. Chinchillas are social animals and need social interaction everyday, even if you can't take him out everyday just talking and being with him for at least an hour. If you can't guarantee at least an hour of being in the same room with him everyday I would not get him, it wouldn't be fair to him. You could also look into adopting a bonded pair rather then a single chin, that way they will have each other for company when you are gone. Although a bonded pair can come with it's own set of challenges including needing to be housed separately if they have a falling out.

Thanks for your response Amethyst. (Love the name btw)

Sadly, it looks like I may have to pass on rescuing the chin. I'm on the PA/NJ border, and today the temp is down, but the humidity is through the roof. Outside humidity right now is 91% outside. I just checked the basement, and it is up to 61%. Temp is still 69.

I think I will look into getting a dehumidifier for the basement. I could use one, even if I don't become a chin parent. I don't do well in humidity at all, and it's 53% in the house right now. I can't function with it this high.

The man with the chin has had no other offers to take his chin, but he said he wouldn't do anything foolish with him. I didn't think he would, but it was good to hear that. Maybe if I can get the humidity down in here and he has no other potential adopters, it could still happen, but I won't count my chickens, so to speak.

At this point, I am just so disappointed. I have wanted a chin for so many years, and whenever I see one in the pet store when I go to get cat supplies, I always ask to hold it.

Trish

Hi Amethyst (love your name!),

I replied yesterday, but it's not showing so I am responding again. I probably didn't hit the submit button.

Anyway, I thought the humidity was too high too. Didn't know they could get moldy!! I'm still unsure about adopting him - I change my mind multiple times every day. But I have ordered a dehumidifier for the basement. Even if he would be ok with the high humidity, I wouldn't be able to stay down there long with it so high. Ideally, I like humidity in the 30s (40s if the temp is under 70). I *think* I can spend an hour every day with him; maybe slightly less Monday through Thursday, but more (way more) on Friday through Sunday. Once the summer is over I can bring him upstairs in the guest room where I had planned on keeping him - and I can pop in on him a lot more then.

Trish

Ok, now I understand it takes a while for a newbie's post to get through. Sorry for the duplicate!

The latest - the basement is out. I can get the temperature/humidity in an acceptable range, but it wouldn't be good enough for me to want to spend time there. So now it leaves me with having to keep the cage in a bedroom.

Would it be ok to allow playtime outside the cage in a room that has a bed in it, or is that a big no? I'm thinking I'd have to remove the bed in there. I suppose I could somehow block off the space between the floor and the bed frame.

Thanks!
Trish

Hi Trish!

I live just outside of Philly, so we're working with the same climate. My chins have their own room, with a window AC and a dehumidifier. The window in there is new, so it holds temperature really well. I only mention this because my last place had single pane windows, which affected the climate in there like you wouldn't believe! As it stands now, I have to run both units continuously from mid April to early November, so if you choose to adopt him, just make sure you're prepared for that electric bill. :))

I had a 2 hour, round trip commute for 5 years, and the chins were fine as long as I left the TV or radio on for them during the day, and gave them plenty of my time after work. I only let them out on weekends in 30 minute increments, and they are still happy, healthy, bouncy little furkids. After work, I would sit with them with my arms in the cage reading to them, talking to them, etc. As Amethyst said, it's the interaction that matters most.

When I had a single chin, I let him run around in my bedroom, but he chewed on everything... wires, baseboards, walls, books, shelves, purses, shoes, etc. If he was moody, or wanted to take a nap, he would go under the bed and stay there. If I tried to lure him with a dust bath, he would bark at me, take his nap and wait it out. They are smart, stubborn little creatures, and will make it their mission to thwart whatever barrier you try to set-up. It would be much safer for him (and less stressful for you both) if he had an enclosed play area of some sort, or a fully chin-proofed room. Something like this would work well.

I've had chins for 10 years now, and I really wouldn't trade it for the world. I hope that helps a bit with your decision!

Take care!

I don't advise chins running loose in a place you can't get to them, under beds, dressers, etc. As mentioned chins chew on everything, so you have to make sure were it has access to there is nothing it shouldn't be chewing on. The mesh dog pens seem popular, I've never tried them myself so I can't give personal input, but you'll have to watch for the chin trying to chew out. I bought two small animal pen fencing, chins can easily jump 5 feet, but mine haven't figured that out yet so 2 feet works. I've also used a light sheet cloths pinned over top to prevent escapes when I felt worried about it. You could even use that pen open as a barrier around the bed, so rather then penning the chin in pen in where it shouldn't go. Chins can squeeze through spacing of anything bigger then 1" (so most dog pens don't work), and that also includes under things, like doors if the gap is big enough. One cheap way people have also found to make play areas is using cardboard or those tri fold project boards, you can make them any size you want and are cheap to replace if chewed on.

Keep in mind that when ever a chin is out it has to be watched every minute, there are stories of people leaving the room for only a minute and coming back to a injured (or worse) chin. If you don't have a safe area to take the chin out or you don't have time to watch it, then it's better to leave it in the cage.

Hi Lauren,

We're practically neighbors! LOL I'm in the Lehigh Valley in the A-B-E area.

I think I would be ok with the central ac on. I keep the house on the cooler side anyway except at night when I'm sleeping, so I wouldn't have a problem with kicking it up a notch. I'd sleep better too! It *shouldn't* be all that much more than I'm used to for electric. I just replaced a 25 year old unit, so I'm finding I'm cooling for less already this year.

The commute is long, isn't it!! I already leave music on for the cats, so that wouldn't be a problem either. I was kind of thinking about just bonding with him in his cage on work days, and then taking him out on my free days.

Oy, chewing everything! Stubborn little suckers, aren't they! I would definitely only have him out of the cage when I was in the room; otherwise, why bother taking him out? I don't think that enclosure would work - I would want to be able to get in there and spend time with him, and, well, I'm way too big for that. :p I think the one Amethyst uses is a possibility, or maybe this https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Exer...=1469117712&sr=1-2&keywords=metal+pet+playpen. Or are the holes too big on it? I like that you can get taller ones.

All that said, it may not be happening anyway. I'm still having a positive outlook, but I wonder if I should take the hint that it's not meant to be. The original chin I was interested in MAY be going to a new home this weekend. I told him to keep me in mind if they don't take him. Meanwhile, I started looking on petfinder, and there is one in Quakertown - not too far away. I inquired about him, and someone was coming to look at him today. They said they would let me know if he is still available afterward.

I could always buy one from a breeder. I see that a member here is a breeder in NJ and is selling some of hers. That would *kind of* be like rescuing.

Have a great day and stay cool! The forecast is a steamy one for the next week plus!

Trish

I'm probably silly thinking this, but if I'm in the room with him and shoved something under the bed to keep him from going there, wouldn't it be ok without the pen? The only other thing in the room is a dresser, oh, and a small storage chest. I guess I could always test it out and if it doesn't work, he doesn't come out of the cage until I got a pen.

If this even happens that is. (see my post to Airyn/Laurie)

I will be so disappointed if I come out of this chin-less.

Note to Laurie - sorry I wrote Lauren. Senior moment.

Well, the chin in Quakertown went to his new home last night.

The original guy has two other possibilities, which irritates me a little. You would think that since I was the first who inquired, and now that I'm positive about it, that he would put me over at least the second person. The first sounds like it won't work out - he doesn't have a car, lives 75 miles away, and wants to get it for his younger sister. It could still work out, but I'm sure not holding my breath.

But still thinking.... I don't know why the link didn't show up in my last post. So I'm trying again. In the reviews, it said the spacing is 1-5/8. Amethyst said not over 1" so I'm thinking not, but maybe. https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Exercise-Pen-30-Inch-Black/dp/B000H8YTJI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1469218528&sr=8-6&keywords=wire+pet+enclosures

I'm getting so frustrated and sad.

Trish

Sorry I missed this! The notification must have been in my spam folder. I'm up in your area at least once a month visiting family. Too funny! Did you ever get your chin? :))

Hi Laurie,

No, I didn't get the chin. When both got adopted to other people, I thought maybe it was a sign that I shouldn't get one, so I stopped looking. And then we had yet another heat wave, and I couldn't get the temp down in the living room below 74, which means the bedrooms were even warmer. At that point I was glad I wasn't a chin parent.

But.... I got notification from adopt-a-pet that a chin is available, and it got me thinking AGAIN. What I could do in the summer months is keep the cage in the living room, and move the big cat tree (that neither use) out to the spare bedroom. The other seasons would be fine. (The cats hate it in the winter.)

So I inquired about the chin today. Haven't heard back from them yet. They know nothing about it, so perhaps someone dumped it off on their doorstep.

Where up in my area do you come to? Can you PM me if you want to chat about our locations?

But still thinking.... I don't know why the link didn't show up in my last post. So I'm trying again. In the reviews, it said the spacing is 1-5/8. Amethyst said not over 1" so I'm thinking not, but maybe. https://www.amazon.com/MidWest-Exercise-Pen-30-Inch-Black/dp/B000H8YTJI/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1469218528&sr=8-6&keywords=wire+pet+enclosures

Aloha!

This is the one I have. I think it's the same one you are looking at Trish, but 36" high instead of just 30". I think either would work fine for supervised play time! The spacing should be ok for an adult (guessing 8+ months old) but can't say for sure, my girls aren't here for another 2 weeks. Kira will be 8 weeks old and Joey will be 4 months old. But I've seen this playpen in varied heights from 24" to 48" scattered across chin sites and videos across the Internet!

Good luck finding a furbaby to share your life with!

~Tina

Aloha!

This is the one I have. I think it's the same one you are looking at Trish, but 36" high instead of just 30". I think either would work fine for supervised play time! The spacing should be ok for an adult (guessing 8+ months old) but can't say for sure, my girls aren't here for another 2 weeks. Kira will be 8 weeks old and Joey will be 4 months old. But I've seen this playpen in varied heights from 24" to 48" scattered across chin sites and videos across the Internet!

Good luck finding a furbaby to share your life with!

~Tina

The pen you linked said the spacing is 1.5" (unless I am misreading it) that is way too wide even for an adult chin. Anything wider then 1" even an adult chin can walk right through, unless the chin is very very fat. The pen I've seen the most looks similar to that but the bar spacing is narrower, https://www.amazon.com/Marshall-Pet-Products-Deluxe-Small/dp/B0013TT2SS/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1472756392&sr=1-2&keywords=ferret+pen maybe that is what you were thinking/seeing? Unfortunately most dog pens have bar spacing of 1.5 or wider, making them unsuitable for chin playpens. They may work for awhile, but once the chin realizes they can squeeze out there will be no keeping them in.

Back