Pumice stone chewing

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stargrazer

furry pet mom
My chin Remi is a pumice fanatic. I buy him the plain ones and hang one in his cage and he ends up finishing it in about 30 minutes! It seems it is his favorite chew. Problem is I cannot find it here where I live very easily. I bought the natural pumice pieces but he wont touch them. Only the long white ones. Anyone have any suggestions where I can get the long skinny kind in bulk and for a reasonable price?
Here is what they generally look like:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/produ...51&srccode=cii_14934801&cpncode=19-20385567-2

Also should ask if these are OK to give him? I only get the ones that aren't colored (I can find the colored ones easily but don't want to chance poisoning him)

I would be afraid that the Sephora pumice may have been treated with something. Seems like your chin likes the harder pumice. I have seen some really hard pumice cubes, I think they are called chew blocks. The lava bites and ledges from SuperPet might be to your chin's liking as well :).

http://www.exoticnutrition.com/Chew-Toy-Department.htm

Last edited:
Remi will go crazy for them I am sure. I have pumice crazed girl and she is upset when she chews through her lava ledge and loves pumice toys. She just finished destroying a hanging toy she had from Christmas that had lots of rocks on it that were natural from one of the girls on here, Alli.

If you go to the chinchilla chews section of this site, they have some of the best prices on the lava products (pumice products) that I have seen http://rabbitstop.com/chinchillaproducts.shtml My chins LOVE the lava landings and a pack of 2 is only $4.49. The lava bites are great too, but might not last long with your chinnie. Those are only $2.49 for a 3 pack.

I really want to try these blocks. My boys used to chew on the natural pumice, but they kinda just got over it. Now it ends up being the only thing left on their toys. I really wish I could find someone who sells them wholesale. The absolute cheapest I found is $1.69 a piece, but that's not counting shipping (which they want $7.00 for 10). Pumice weighs barely anything, so I think the shipping is a little steep.

I have never tried the natural pumice. Kind of leary of straying from what I know. My chins love white pumice stones. I buy in bulk form Lone Star Chinchillas

Mine really like the white pumice stone chuncks too. They do not care for the pumice chew blocks (square grey ones you find at pet supply stores) at all.

Mine all love lava bites. Not so much the white pumice stones.
I would be leary of using the pumice stones like that for taking skin off of people. I would be afraid that it would have been treated with something since it is a bath product and maybe would have something to be antibacterial.
There's no way of knowing so personally I would not give those to my chins. I would buy things made specifically for pets like the lava products.
It's the same reason you don't buy the loofahs in the stores.

If you really want something your chins will go nuts over and don't mind the cost, the Blue Cloud mine sells chew blocks. They're basically blue cloud in rock form.

If you really want something your chins will go nuts over and don't mind the cost, the Blue Cloud mine sells chew blocks. They're basically blue cloud in rock form.

where can we get those from?

Where would someone go about finding out more information about these stones? I assume they would only sell them in major bulk, which doesn't help me in the least. :p I would have an entire house full of Blue Cloud rocks.

You have to contact the mine. As far as bulk, it's stone. 50lbs is going to take up roughly the same space as a bag of dust. They probably still sell it in single boxes.

Just need to find someone close to it that is willing to box it in a flat rate box and send it over. :))

Last edited:
I called around a bit. Nobody carries it due to the price. Here's the 2006 prices;

Regular Chew Blocks

Case Boxes Blocks Weight Price Per Case Per Box
1 12 3.5 lbs $9.00 $9.00
1 12 144 42.5 $96.00 $96.00 $8.00
6 72 864 255 $558.00 $93.00 $7.75
24 288 3456 1020 $2,160.00 $90.00 $7.50

Irregular Chew Blocks

Case Weight Per Lb. Price Price per Case
1 50 $1.75 $80.00 $80.00
4 200 $1.70 $312.00 $78.00
20 1000 $1.65 $1,520.00 $76.00
40 2000 $1.60 $2,960.00 $74.00

Selected/Sized Chew Rocks

Case Weight Per Lb. Price Price per Case
1 50 $1.50 $75.00 $75.00
4 200 $1.45 $290.00 $72.50
20 1000 $1.40 $1,400.00 $70.00
40 2000 $1.35 $2,700.00 $67.50

Well, the mine does. But you have to drive there to get it.

I meant nobody that shipped carries them. I'd try finding someone close to the mine to sweet talk into picking some up for you. :))

Back