RIP Marley

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

angela

DSC00905.jpg

I don't know what happened. He was in the carrier Quality Cages made for two boys to fly, but we ended up driving instead (cost was insane to ship everything) So we stopped at a hotel the 2nd night of driving, it was storming BAD, open his side of the carrier, he's laying there dead. The other one was fine, and I checked on them constantly. I just don't get what happened. Why him and the other was fine? I blame myself, maybe I shouldn't have taken a 2 hour nap and watched them every second? He didn't play nice with my other boy, but they cuddled through the cages.
DSC00973.jpg

They usually ate at the same time and whatever shelf one was on, the other was right there beside him. My other boy is just not acting right. Maybe it's just the new environment, but I think he misses Marley. He's been staying on the side where Marley's cage used to be(except for when he's running like never before on the wheel) Just doesn't seem right with only one cage in here. Even losing at cat of 14-15ish years didn't upset me this much. Maybe it was the shock of finding him and holding him. Probably didn't help that we had another day of driving with him. My Dad just wanted to throw him in a dumpster:( I'm going to have him cremated.

Usually when someone's animal goes, I tell them, be happy that you gave them a great life and now you can rescue another. Easier said than done, but my boy needs a new buddy. It's going to be hard, but gotta get Marley's cage cleaned and ready for a new lil man. Until then, extra playtime and apple sticks!

I'm very sorry for the loss of Harley.

As far as what happened, some chins just handle stress differently than others and this was too much for him. Or, it could be that the sky was blue and it was his time. There's no way to know and there's no reason to feel guilty. Sometimes it just happens.

Thanks guys. I hope it just was stress and happened quickly. It had to have as often as I checked on them. I was finally starting to not drive myself crazy thinking about him and what I could have done, if anything, when I saw that I need to change the number from 2 to 1 on my profile. Looks like another day of red puffy eyes.

Back