"Litter-training" help!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

emily.j.roth

Hello all!
I am fairly new to the chin world, and especially this site. I've already taken some great ideas (fleece pan liners are AMAZING! :dance3: ) from this site, and one idea that I'm attempting right now is litter-training my chinchilla so to speak. I figured out where she's urinating, and I put a small ceramic bowl with some bedding she peed on in it, but I came back ten minutes later and she pulled the bedding from the bowl and peed on it! So, I put the bedding back in hoping she would get the hint, but to no avail. As soon as I put the bedding back, she urinated right next to the bowl, as if to say "umm, I am NOT using that bowl" lol. My next attempt was to try a different bowl (she's only seven months old, so I thought the bowl might have been a little too large for her). This next container is basically a small saucer, and I put a little bit of the bedding she had been peeing on in it. This attempt didn't work either, sadly, and I came up to check on her to find that she had urinated in a completely different area of the cage :banghead:

So, needless to say, I'm in a bit of a pickle. I really want her litter-trained because of the fleece, but if it can't be done, I guess I'll survive. Does anyone have any suggestions for what I can do to encourage her to use her litter pan? What kind of pans do you guys use with your chins? Thanks so much!

Well, I think you are off to a great start. I got lucky with my chin, Tinkerbell. I put a pan with litter and soiled bedding in it in her favorite potty corner. She didn't go in it exclusively at first, and I conveniently covered the other corners of the cage with toys and other items so she couldn't pee there. After the other areas were covered, she only used the pan. She's had very few accidents in the year I have had her. Now, if she could be trained to poop in the pan as well, then life would be devine! :)

Keep trying. Jenn has a good idea - blocking the other areas with toys/other things. Hopefully, she will come around to the idea that the pan is where she should pee.

Back