I cannot make my chinchilla take critical care

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lily87

My chinchilla is making a sound when breathing in. This started yesterday. I took her to the vet this morning, and the doctor said his lung did not sound fine and put him on Baytril. He is not eating anything this afternoon, and when I tried to hand feed him critical care, he completed resisted. He had taken critical care 4-5 years ago, he was fine it. But this time, I cannot get a bit into him. The way he struggles when wrapped or controlled made me worry that he was already not breathing ok and I was making him feel suffocated. Can someone who is experienced tell me, are there conditions when hand feeding just would not work? Or should I try harder?

You need to wrap him in a towel like a burrito to keep him from struggling. Then you just have to persevere. They do struggle. They act like we're killing them! Just keep trying, little bits in his mouth at a time. He may be a bit scared because he's having issues breathing. Plan to go slow, small amounts in his mouth at a time.

Back