3 month old chin - bald spot

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoDewBell

Hi,

I'm a new chin owner and have a health related question. I noticed a small bald batch near my chins nose. The area is not red or irritated and I don't see a sign of fungus. Just wondering if other people have run into this and possible root cause.

It could be fungus - often fungus starts near the nose or it could be he is rubbing the fur off his nose by rubbing his nose on the cage wires. To play it safe, since it won't hurt him - put a tablespoon of Tinactin or Desensex (athletics foot powder) in his dust bath and give him a bath every day for a week. Then every other day the next week - then 3 times a week the following week. You can go back to twice a week then, if the bald spot in going away and there is no more bald spots. I would still use the foot powder for a couple of months in the dust bath.

I'll start doing that, thanks. I did notice last night that she chews on the bars of the cage and the nose does rub. I've read that chin's do this out of boredom but I take her out every night for at least 2 hours of play and the cage is huge (3 levels) and has a wheel and platforms in it, so not sure what else to do.

I also noticed she sometimes lays completely flat (face resting on the ground) as opposed to sleeping sitting up like she normally does. I keep the room cool, doesn't go over 70.

Back