9 year old chin making strange noises.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkip5

Hi everyone...
I need some thoughts and help! My 9 year old chin has started making weird pig like sounds the last few days. I have never heard him make those sounds in the 9 years I have him. He makes them when he eats and also when I just interact with him. I do think he may be brushing his paw against nose more too. I did take him to the vet. They did not see anything obvious and said the looks great! But he keeps making this noise...something's not right. I do have video, but not sure how to post it. If anyone has experience or thought I would appricate it!!

Looks like you're in the same boat as me. My 9 year old chin went through that (Don't worry, he's still alive, I have faith your little guy can make it through this)

Is your vet qualified? It doesn't sound like it.. I'll say what every single other person here will tell you, and it'll get a little obnoxious especially if it isn't an option, but look around for a new exotics vet.

In the meantime, look at him yourself. Press yourself up to him to see if he'll sniff your ear, so you can hear what's going on it there a little better. If it gets to the point where he has a hard time breathing and you hear a clicking noise along with the snorts, get him over some hot steam in the bathroom, just don't get him wet! I'm telling you this cause that's what happened to my chinchilla after a few days of the snorting.
The vet thought it could possibly be something in his throat or nasal passages which causes thousands of dollars to even look at.. So I won't suggest that, unless you do have that kind of money.

Keep him close and keep an eye on him, stop giving him treats entirely too.

I'll stick around this thread cause I see you're keeping an eye on it; Especially since you're dealing with the same thing I am, I'm really curious about your guy.

Well I use to belong to this group when Rocky was younger. He hasn't need to go to the vet so I unfortunately haven't had one. My daughters soccer coaches husband is a vet whom deals with exotic/pocket pets. He looked him over and did a full exam on him. He did not see anything out if the ordinary. He suggested that I could get him an X-ray to look at him more serious. I opt not to right now because of price. He also suggested its his back teeth. I did email him a video of his behavior sound. He thought it sounds like teeth area. I will do as you suggested with listening closely. I hope your little buddy is okay!!

AUGH, the page randomly went to "Thanks for logging in!" then logged me out.. randomly.. while typing. Let's see if I can remember exactly what I was about to post.

When he sniffs your ear, you'll be able to notice if it's nasal problems over teeth. A healthy 'sniff sniff sniff' you shouldn't really be able to hear, I just have a feeling it'll be slightly labored, with that snorting. Teeth COULD be a possibility, my guys were never looked at because he had respiratory symptoms along with the snorting, so they looked more at his lungs than anything.

Next, just a tip, it'll save you money. NEVER take "He looks fine!" as an answer. You've had him for 9 years, you know that boy, he's your child. My jackass vet milked over 1000 dollars from me in frequent 60 dollar "OH HE'S OKAY LOL" checkups while my baby was actually quite near death. Stick to your gut; their medical license is worth nothing over real experience. Insist every single possible exam they can give included in your initial appointment fee.

Another tip, you can check on how a chinchilla is doing by his poop, a lot of the times. So.. designate a spot in his house to sweep, to check for new 'samples' we'll call them. My guy poops in his house while he's napping, so every couple hours I'll dump it out and check on them to make sure they're normal. Sounds awkward, but think of them as "How your chinchilla is doing right now" balls.
If they've been completely normal since this started, don't worry about it too much, but if this starts to progress, keep an eye on those poops.

Please keep me updated! <3

Is he eating, drinking, peeing and pooping normally? An ill or injured chin usually won't eat or drink. I would have him x-rayed. At 9 years old, there is a good chance that it is the teeth. It could also be something is hurting like an injury of digestive issues. Don't just blow this off because one vet said he fine. Get another opinion and don't wait either. If he is in pain, you are allowing him to suffer while you wait. Also, if he has a problem, the sooner it gets treated, the better. Chinchillas can go downhill very fast.

I agree with what you're saying, but you don't have to make her feel bad for having a bad situation, Cuddle. She knows he's not right, that's why she's here. "You are allowing him to suffer while you wait" .. Guilt doesn't always encourage people to do the right thing, it might just encourage her to leave this site, like I almost have a few times because of comments like that. I know you mean well, but it's still mean.

I do agree you should have an x-ray done though, Don't be scared off the price, if you have it, do it, if you don't, then I understand, I'm in that situation too.. but please, if you have the money, don't just dismiss it until it gets worse, because then it may be too late. The vet told you "He seems fine, but I think it could be his back teeth" so he means.. he looks fine on the outside, we need a closer look.

I had to skimp on months of groceries and almost didn't pay the rent for some of my chinchilla testing, if it is at all possible, do it please. Teeth problems with chinchillas are almost always insanely serious.

I agree with what you're saying, but you don't have to make her feel bad for having a bad situation, Cuddle. She knows he's not right, that's why she's here. "You are allowing him to suffer while you wait" .. Guilt doesn't always encourage people to do the right thing, it might just encourage her to leave this site, like I almost have a few times because of comments like that. I know you mean well, but it's still mean.

Etherite, what you're doing is called self-policing. Don't. It's not your job to try to monitor what other members post. Cuddle was right, and it wasn't said in a mean or guilt-trip manner at all.

Please see the rule below and keep this in mind when posting.

Main Rules & Policies

Self-Policing

If you feel a thread is getting off topic, etc. please click the warn button (!) on the post or thread to bring it to the attention of a moderator. Only click the warn button once. Do not try to remedy the situation yourself. A moderator will review the thread and get it back on topic.

Well Rocky is on his 3 rd day of antibiotics and bene bac. I determined that he was sneezing and pawing at his nose excessively. The vet felt that he was starting a respiratory infection (especially since me, my daughter and husband just all had it days before rocky started). He is sneezing less already. Giving the medicine 2 times a day is a little challenging and I still am confused on how to give him the right dose of the bene bac. Thank you for the thoughts. I will keep you posted.

And by the way...I didn't wait to have my chun taken care of. I was in contact with the vet and sending video of my chin to him in between vet visits. I have had my chin for over 9 years and love and take care of him. He is very spoiled. He was not showing difference in his food/water, behavior. Just strange noise and rubbing his nose. He had no visual signs either...clear eyes, no drooling mouth or no running nose. Hopefully the antibiotic works well!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back