"Solar's" Medicine Head!?!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frost11

I am giving Solar oral medicine twice a day. However, Solar hates it and sometimes, it drips down his mouth into his fur. What should I do regarding this? Wipe with wet warm cloth? Leave and he will clean up himself? Here's what I have done so far.

Night one: It dripped, I left it. He cleaned it up. But, left a little.

Today: It dripped (a little). I wiped it with a warm wet wash cloth. Dried it with another cloth and then gave him a dust bath. (He was due).

But, tonight what should I do? OR for the next 10 days?

I already hold him with a towel and it doesn't help with drip control... :banghead:

How are you dipensing it? Has it been flavored by the vet? What is the med? I have used simethicone or dyne as a flavor before, draw up the oral med in a syringe, dip the syringe tip in either simethicone or dyne and then dispense. Are you hand feeding also?

Metacam 1.5mg/mL Oral and Smz Tmp Susp Liquid 48mg/mL both are flavored. Doesn't matter, he has lost 3 front teeth and others so naturally some will come out. I just need to know how to treat the fur. :(

Missing teeth does not effect the administration of the meds if done properly, I have fed many many chins with all kinds of dental issues, 1000s of feedings of meds and food with very little loss. Are you using a 1cc syringe to do this? You need to angle the syringe in the area where "behind the incisors" used to be and drip it in, too much too fast and the chin can aspirate, both those meds should not be enough ml wise to make much of a mess. As far as the fur goes, I wash the area with warm water and Dawn soap on a wash cloth, comb it out, blow dry on low and then comb out with dust-if the chin is drooling this needs to be done once a day or the chin will end up with dermatitis on the chin area and chest, even the paws.

One other thing, what is the vet treating with the SMZ? Sulfa antibiotics do not work well on infections of the teeth , only soft tissue such as cheek or tongue. The anaerobic and aerobic bacteria that are present in dental abscesses or deep in dental sockets or pockets are not touched by SMZ, baytril and flagyl are the antibiotics of choice for that application.

Last edited:
when i feed meds or even handfeed i either use unscented baby wipes or a washcloth with warm water. for extra sticky fur, i will dilute a drop of baby shampoo and use that on a warm washcloth.

Back