"Limp" Ear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charliespooks

Right before we moved Fen into his brand new ferret nation today I noticed that one ear was pressed flat against his head and felt kinda limp and warm. After getting in the cage and exploring all over the place he drank a bunch of water.
A little later he overheated a bit, both ears were redder/warm and his body felt warm (which was due to my carelessness with controlling the room temperature while I was cleaning the post-cage-building mess *bonks self on the head*). Luckily I caught onto his condition rather quickly so I ran and turned down the thermastat, popped open the back door to cool down the room. I also put my spare chin-chiller from the freezer in his cage to help him cool down but he pretty much ignored it and sprawled on the floor til he cooled off. When I put it in there I also noticed his poo was rather soft, not sure if that's from drinking a lot of water though.
He got up and went to go eat so I felt his ears again and they were alot cooler, just still slightly pinker than normal. His body was back to normal so I figured he was better. Between acting normal (running on his wheel, jumping for perch to ledge and all around) he's been sleeping in weird positions but I'm not sure if it's because he's in a new home, he's excited, or if he's ill.
Right now his ears are both up and fine but 10 minutes ago, the same ear was all limp and pressed to his head while he was resting.
His ear has never done this before so I'm quite concerned. I'll keep an eye on him but let me know if this could be anything serious that I need to take him to the vet for. Thanks.

Sounds like sleepy ear to me...

Oh ok, I just searched forums for "sleepy ear". Sounds like that's what happened. I guess it was just bad timing with him becoming a little hot but he seems to be doing good right now :) I was scared it was an inner ear infection or something, I'm such a paranoid chin-mom ^.^;

Back