...Smells like beef bullion?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sendra

Chin-zilla!
For some reason my three year old female, Tribble, smells like... well, beef bullion, and she never has before. At first whiff I almost thought it smelled like gardenia, but I had my mother smell her and she said beef bullion, upon smelling her again, I agreed. She doesn't have any sores or anything, her temperament and activity hasn't changed, and no, she hasn't been eating beef bullion or any meat. I don't think it's her diet as it hasn't been changed in a long time. She eats Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe along with Oxbow timothy hay. Her treats are rolled organic oats and occasionally a dash of a mix of organic nettle leaf, oat straw and dandelion leaf. Any clue what's going on? Is she in heat or something?

It sounds like it's probably just her releasing her little scent gland. I can see how that could smell beef buillion-y, sort of. Sometimes I think it smells vitamin-y or burnt almond-y...so...beef bullion, I can understand that interpretation. If this is the case and it's her stinking up things with her wonderful scent gland, it doesn't mean she is sick...it means she's annoyed or mad or maybe a little scared or trying to get away from you. Nothing to be too concerned about.

When the girls are in heat, they can smell a bit. It's almost a musky smell...different from what you said. I can smell it when I walk through the door. I guess it's possible that you are smelling her going into heat. Have you looked at her down there? Does she look open at all or have any discharge?

To me, the smell of the scent gland poof, smells like cherios.

I've not experienced a beefy smell, but I have noticed certain other smells indicative of other issues. A urinary infection, retained placenta, rectal prolapse, and digestive issues all seem to have unique and notable smells. Maybe it's just me, but I'm pretty sensitive to those things.

Mine definitely make that smell when startled. We call it "Beef and Onioned" as it smells to me like Beef and Onion crisps.

She no longer smells like beef bullion, so I think you were all correct! I had just picked her up after her play time was over, so I suppose her knowing playtime was over made her upset enough to release her scent gland.

This thread has become funny to me...beefy cheerios! Anyways, my female does that too, especially when I first got her. Now she knows I'm not going to eat her, but I think she still does it just to further sass me.

Back