40 grams weight gain in 3 days on a female?????

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

liewwan

So I got a scale just recently and weigh all the chins. Now is it normal for a female to gain total of 40 grams within only 3 days. This is Sparkle that is gaining the weight and prior to getting the scale I've noticed she has plumped quite a bit lately. I've searched for it on here, but most are talking about weight loss, or if it's weight gain than that's like a gain of 10g a week.
No change in the diet lately at all. Now I do want to mention as I'm sure some will remember that the females has been caged with male for 1 month. They've been separated. I also read a lot of the breeding section along with contacting 2 local breeders for help of possible pregnancy and they don't mind being my coach on this.
I'm just hoping that it's normal for a chin to gain this amount of weight in a short period of time. Oh I've been weighing them everyday just to have them learn to hop on the scale when I put it in the cages. All the other 3 stayed either the same or off by 3g.

I had a chinchilla gain 110 grams in 15 days once (we weigh twice a month/every 15ish days)... though that was towards the end of her pregnancy (she had triplets).

Aside from that, I have seen chins gain that much if there's a change in diet, or if something has happened with a water bottle. For example, we once had a water bottle fall off a cage and somehow it wasn't noticed for a day.... by the time we had another one up, the female had lost like 30 grams, but put it back on by the next few days...

How old is the female? Still growing by any chance?

...but aside from situations like that... I would just keep weighing and hopefully you have a babysafe cage in the event she happens to be pregnant. Good luck!

Make sure you are weighing at the same time each day. Weight can fluctuate throughout the day based on what they have eaten or if they have have had water.

Graychins: She is turning 2 in November, I recently got a hold of the breeder to give me more accurate dates. At first they thought she was already 2. There hasn't been any changes in the brand of food, still on Mazuri. It just clicked in my head that I started her on the bail hay that I picked up from up north. The amounts that are eaten has been the same as they had from the bagged hay. Water intake has been same.
I'm hoping she is just still growing, I'll end up with a very fluffy girl. Her sister however is still on the small scale, still between 433-435. I'm giving her alfalfa by hand during play time, hopefully to get close to Sparkle who is at 574 now. When she laid down she looks like she's got a much bigger tummy and big big hips going, this is an observation for the past 1 1/2 week. She is just getting chunky so fast sish.
As for baby proofing the cage, the breeder I know told me to get some chicken coop fence and run it along the out side of my fn cage to prevent any kits from getting out of the cage. I'm picking that up this weekend, so I have it on hand just in case. Now I don't see her nipple yet nor do I feel any movements. She told me to check every other day for this, so far nothing. I'm going to keep weighing her everyday to see if there is any more weight gain. Another thing is she has been more feisty towards me lately. She won't let me pet her at all unless she comes up to me for attention. Yep a girl with attitude. Eating, drinking just fine, as for pooping well there's plenty to build a fort with it. I'll call it the poop fort then. Also she is active. Now I read on this web site that I should limit the space she is able to roam about to avoid any accidents even in her cage, along with no play time outside the cage. Should I just put the divider up on the fn cage to decrease her jumping like a kangaroo space? The girls and boys were in the same cage from 7-1 to 7-28. So if she is prego than I'm thinking in less 2 months she is due.
Never expected to be a grandma so soon, hopefully it's not the case, but I want to make sure I got everything in place.

EMSChins: I'm weighing them at 7pm everyday when they get up from their naps. That's before they head upstairs to their food, hay and water.

Chicken wire is not small enough to baby proof a cage. What you need is hardware cloth or something similar. The openings should not be any larger than 1/2 X1 inch. The timing on when she was exposed to a male and her weight gain could indicate pregnancy, if she was mated in the beginning of July so I would make sure you get everything ready within the next 2 months.

What's a hardware cloth and where I get it from? Should I just go buy a guinea pig cage and just house Sparkle in there for a temp home?
I checked her weight again today and its up to 579, up 4g since yesterday.
Omg she stood up on her hind legs and I SAW ROLLS! It looks like she has a tire around her tummy area.

If you have a Tractor Supply by you, by the bunny stuff (at mine anyway) they have rolls of hardware cloth. It's sort of like chicken wire, but smaller openings (safer). I think the one I got was 1/2 x 1/2 openings, and it comes in different lengths and sizes, so you can get as much as you need to wrap around the cage.

Another alternative, as you mentioned, is getting a cage with smaller bar spacing. I'm not sure whether a guinea pig cage would actually have smaller bar spacing, but for us - we have several runs and two or three cages with baby-safe bar spacing, which we mainly use for the pregnant or potentially-pregnant females. Maybe check out craigslist for a rat cage or bird cage - those generally have about the right size bar spacing.

Sweet, I'll need to check that out. I'm actually heading to the state fair this weekend, they have huge tracter/farm area maybe by luck I can find something there. But I know a few places that should sell something like that if the state fair fails. Thanks.

Back