9 week old kit with uri

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 9 week old with URI. His is under vet care and I have him on antibiotic and 'little noises'. I am hand feeding him with very diluted CC. Thank God, right now he is eating the syringe food with no trouble. Since his mouth is small I have to use 1ml syringes and of course only very diluted will work. How many cc would a 212 gram kit need per day?? Also I was wondering, even though he has been completely weaned for a week, should I try giving him some goat milk also??? Yes, I am watching all other kits and adults like a hawk, hoping he is the only one - he has been separated from the rest.

I would try feeding goat's milk again with just a bit of CC and acidophilus. He may take it better and it provides more nutrition. Just my opinion. I've fed kits older than 2 months goat's milk from a water bottle in their cage. Mom was in the cage with them and she drank the milk too with no ill effects. Watch his poo and be sure he is peeing.

my Kit had a URI a few weeks back - I was told she was 16 weeks but there is no way she is that old - 12 weeks max. She weighed 213g at her poorliest and I was giving her about 40mls of CC a day. I used a 10ml syringe to give it to her but it was quite thick so I've acquired a 60ml catheter syringe for my chin medicine box for next time!

I also had a dry kit mix (which I got the recipe from ClaireD here) and lots of hay and normal pellets available. It took about 10 days of baytril and syringe feeding and then she got better and is now almost 300g and fully on a good quality pellet and hay feed.

Back