RIP Chip and Timmy.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you're a bit over reacting. I'm sorry for the loss of your chin as well - no one wants chins to die. But you say you want to learn from your mistakes - ok, fine - people on here are only pointing them out. You said you feed banana chips - mistake - you want to correct mistakes, no? So it's best to have them pointed out. You say you don't have a baby safe cage - mistake, if you have a pregnant female - you say you want to correct... Don't get me wrong, it's good to want to correct your mistakes, but if you don't know what those mistakes are (for example, thinking banana chips are good for chins), then how can you correct them? The key is to look at things as constructive criticism.

what would you have proposed me to do if I HAD gone to the vet and there was NO ONE THERE!?
Well, you wouldn't do that. No one's asking you to go to a closed vet - we're asking you to find a vet that is either open 24/7 or, like my vet, I can call them, and for some hefty amount that so far I have yet to experience, they will come into the office at 3 am or whatever time I call. There are both types of vets all around the country, you just need to find one that's open. Often times when you call a vet's office, even your regular vet, say after hours, there will be a recording that says "if this is an emergency, please call ______ at this number..." That's who you call when the vet's closed.

And of course before you went anywhere, to any vet, even a 24/7 vet, I personally call to check they're open and can see me, because I'd hate to get there and have them be closed for remodeling or something like that.

If I had gone looking for a vet
See, that's the thing. You shouldn't have had to "have gone looking" - when you got your pets, whatever they are, you should have had a vet lined up. You buy a dog, you find a dog vet, right? You buy an exotic, you have to find an exotic vet. Now that you have the contact info of one, you will have that for next time. It's a shame you didn't have it for this time.

People on this forum are only looking out for the welfare of the animals. They are trying to help, trying to help you correct mistakes, and no one here "preys on others." Take a chill pill and understand the term "constructive criticism."

I think you're a bit over reacting. I'm sorry for the loss of your chin as well - no one wants chins to die. But you say you want to learn from your mistakes - ok, fine - people on here are only pointing them out. You said you feed banana chips - mistake - you want to correct mistakes, no? So it's best to have them pointed out. You say you don't have a baby safe cage - mistake, if you have a pregnant female - you say you want to correct... Don't get me wrong, it's good to want to correct your mistakes, but if you don't know what those mistakes are (for example, thinking banana chips are good for chins), then how can you correct them? The key is to look at things as constructive criticism.

Well, you wouldn't do that. No one's asking you to go to a closed vet - we're asking you to find a vet that is either open 24/7 or, like my vet, I can call them, and for some hefty amount that so far I have yet to experience, they will come into the office at 3 am or whatever time I call. There are both types of vets all around the country, you just need to find one that's open. Often times when you call a vet's office, even your regular vet, say after hours, there will be a recording that says "if this is an emergency, please call ______ at this number..." That's who you call when the vet's closed.

And of course before you went anywhere, to any vet, even a 24/7 vet, I personally call to check they're open and can see me, because I'd hate to get there and have them be closed for remodeling or something like that.

See, that's the thing. You shouldn't have had to "have gone looking" - when you got your pets, whatever they are, you should have had a vet lined up. You buy a dog, you find a dog vet, right? You buy an exotic, you have to find an exotic vet. Now that you have the contact info of one, you will have that for next time. It's a shame you didn't have it for this time.

People on this forum are only looking out for the welfare of the animals. They are trying to help, trying to help you correct mistakes, and no one here "preys on others." Take a chill pill and understand the term "constructive criticism."

I can take constructive criticism just fine, but I will not tolerate someone telling me I should not have animals because of one horrible and horrific accident that I would have done everything to prevent it if I had simply thought everything through in the first place. I ADMITTED TO MY WRONG DOINGS. And still the user feels the need to give me negative feedback, and the same user who went to every single post I had placed on this site and left negative feedback that is preying on someone.

I am done trying to defend my case in this particular forum because I have stated that I was in the wrong and I was devastated about what happened and I have taken measures to ensure it won't happen again.

But how would you feel if you made an honest mistake and some one basically flat out told you that you don't deserve the pets that you care, love, and some like me would even die for. I have learned my lesson.

I can't say I'd like it. But when I first joined, back when this was a different forum entirely, I also did a lot of things wrong and I was very quickly informed of that fact. It happens to most people - I did my research as well, but what I read online wasn't right... but like you said, how would you know? Then you find the forum and find the correct information... but you thought you'd been doing it correctly... you see how it goes...

Some people on this forum are a little more... blunt... than others. It's just part of the nature of the beast. This won't be the last time you see people share their strong feelings about something on this forum. In the end, we all want all chinchillas to have the best chance of survival, that's all.

The key, as you said, is that you learned. You said you're making a cage for the mom, you found a vet and posted the number, kudos. Some people come on here, read people's thoughts, and never come back. You're already ahead of the game.

SO sorry for your loss....it is so hard to lose a beloved pet.
As far as the forum goes, it is made up of a lot of very vocal people who want the very best for chins. Some of them come across harsh, as others come across in a softer way. But they have the best intentions....
Please don't let this scare you away from asking questions on the forum, it is a very informative place. I have been a chin owner for five years and the forums have helped me immensely. Yes, I have been criticized as well, like you, but in the process have been given wonderful help and guidance as well.

i am sorry for your loss. Sadly sometimes we don't know an area isn't secure enough until something happens. Chins are sneaky critters and will find a way to do something if it can be done.

OK guys stop. This is a memorial thread. The OP has stated they made a horrific mistake and are now on this forum to learn. Bashing them is not going to teach them a lesson. It is just going to drive them away from this forum. Driving new members who have made mistakes (even if they are at the cost of a chinchilla's life) is not going to help any future chinchillas they own or their current chinchillas. It may actually cause the poor animals more harm.

This forum is here to help chinchillas & hedgehogs. If you don't like someone, I suggest you use the ignore feature. If you don't know how to use that, read the forum's FAQs.

If I see anymore posts self-policing or bashing I will be issuing warnings and possibly issuing strikes if warranted (see the 3 strikes rule in the forum's rules if you don't already know what that is).

To the OP: I'm sorry for the loss of your chinchillas. The lesson learned came at a huge cost. Stick around the forums, read lots, and you will learn a lot about chinchilla care and how to become prepared for emergencies in the future. There are many people on here that are very passionate about the lives of chinchillas and are just full of a wealth of information.

I'm going to second what Julie said.

I'm also going to point out that someone on this thread who is being mighty vocal was giving absolutely inaccurate and awful advice on Yahoo answers not too long ago, before coming to join this forum and learning what is correct in chin care. Yahoo reaches a heck of a lot more people than we do, so she'd do well to remember that.

I also know another person that is screaming about vet care has, in the past, not been all that circumspect about providing vet care to her own animals, so perhaps a little "people in glass houses" would apply here as well.

Keep the thread on topic. This is a memorial thread, it's not a shred the newbie thread.

The fact that this owner has even joined this forum, admitted her inexperience and shows even a little bit of willingness to learn should be encouraged, not attacked in every thread they start.

I definitely agree.

It's not her fault that she was mis-educated about chins. I don't mean to bash your boyfriend's grandmother, but she was the one who taught you about chins, so it wasn't your fault that you made these mistakes.

Joining this forum in attempts to educate yourself is more than most chin-owners do, and I commend you for doing so. Please please don't be scared away by the harsh comments. Most people on here (myself included) love chins more than people, so they get extremely upset when they hear stories like this that could have been prevented (even though it wasn't your fault.)

Although you shouldn't take offense to the harsh comments, you should still take them very seriously. These people know what they're talking about.

Like many others, I felt attacked when I first joined here. However, it was the best thing that's ever happened to me as an animal lover. The knowledge I gained here really helped me, and it also prepared me to help others.

If there's anything else you need, please don't hesitate to PM me or anyone else you feel comfortable talking to if you are afraid of being attacked.
Admitting your mistakes was very brave and very important to the well-being of your chins.

I am so sorry for your loss, I hope you can recover from this and stay on this forum. Rest in peace, little bugs :heart5:

Back