"Matted" area on Trixie's back

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marie5656

Chinchilla slave
I mentioned this in another thread, and was asked to post a few more pictures of the area on Trixie's back I am concerned about. A couple folks mentioned it may be fur biting. Here are some pictures I hope are better. If biting is the case, what can I do about it? I am including a link to the other thread, with the older picture, for comparison. I cannot post the picture twice. The picture of Trixie outside her dust bath is older

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13100&highlight=matted

Attachments

• Trixie 009.jpg
    Trixie 009.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 23
  • Trixie 017.jpg
    Trixie 017.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Trixie 018.jpg
    Trixie 018.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 27
  • Trixie 001.jpg
    Trixie 001.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 26
That last picture, the one with the dust bath, it really looks like fur chewing to me.

If that's what it is, there's nothing you can do about it. Some chins just do it. Some will stop eventually, but others don't

Thanks, the last picture is a few weeks old. The others are from last night. Is this something I should be concerned about? Is it stress related?

The other ones it looks like chewing to me too, it's just clearer in the older one because it's more in focus.

Fur chewing can be stress related, like one of my girls will chew if we move, but otherwise she doesn't. But for some chins it's just what they do. Or sometimes it can be due to boredom.

If she's got plenty of toys and a wheel and gets attention and nothing major has changed recently then I'd say it's just something she does. It's not anything to worry about and it's not going to hurt her.

OK thanks. I was kind of worried. She has a wheel..and I take her out to play every other night. Will have to give more attention when she is in her cage, I guess.

Back