My Pericles...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aznmexaggie

Chinchilla Chateau
I remember the first time I met my Pericles. I was at my first chinchilla field day down in Frazier Park, CA... it was April 2006. I saw him on the show table, the cutest little beige puffball I'd ever seen. I fell in love with his sweet face and his handsome looks right away. The judges did as well and he went on to win Grand Show Champion. Right after the show, I went up to his breeders, Gary and Margot Neubauer, and bought him. I was so excited! He was so beautiful and I was so in love. That was also the day I got my first real chin bite... he got me good... but I forgave him for that as I'm sure he was terrified with all the commotion going on. Pericles was my first male chin and from my first breeding pair. He was with me back before I built the chin room, when my chins were kept in my bedroom.

Peri, you were my sweetie freckled starry-eyed boy, my silly hand-mounter, hoarder of the apple sticks, and father to many beautiful babies. I will miss you so much and never will another chin be able to replace you.

I just wish I was able to save you but you just faded away too quickly. I know Dr. Turner did all you could and I'm sorry I couldn't be there with you while you passed. I am so sorry, Peri...

RIP my little Pericles
9/23/04 - 10/8/09

Bowenbeige.jpg

The first time I laid eyes on Peri

100_0714.jpg

100_0215.jpg

Peri-1.jpg

I'm so sorry for your loss Sumiko. He was a lovely squish of a boy.

On Wednesday, I noticed Peri wasn't acting like himself although I had just seen him chomping on hay the day before. I put him in a separate cage but he wasn't pooing and wouldn't eat. I even tried handfeeding him Critical Care + Lifeline but he wouldn't swallow it or lick if off his lips. He was also dehydrated and his skin would not bounce back... you should not be able to scruff a chin but his skin was so loose that I could easily grasp the skin on his neck/back.

I took him to the vet that afternoon and he was given sub-q fluids for his dehydration, probiotics, and the vet did an x-ray to make sure there was no blockage and that it would be safe to use motility drugs. The x-ray showed some gas buildup and ingested food in the upper half of his G.I. tract. Peri stayed there in the hospitalization incubator overnight and the vet said at midnight, he seemed to be showing improvement and was more alert. However, early Thursday morning, he started going downhill and he passed away sometime before 10:00 am.

I just buried him last night in our backyard by the black bamboo. He now rests on a bed of timothy hay, a fleece blanket and a pile of apple sticks. I also placed a Japanese stone lantern at the foot of his grave.

It was all so sudden. I knew the time would come when I would eventually lose one of my chins but I just didn't think it would come this soon. He was my silly pretty boy and I am so upset that he had to leave me so quickly.

Thank you everyone for your condolences.

Back