Pellet pile?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smidgeyy

One of my chins consistently spills his pellets. I swear, he shovels them out of the dish.

However, he never likes to finish them. He only likes holding the longer pieces and once they get too short, he tosses it and picks up another longer pellet. I can hand him a small piece and he drops it. I give him a longer piece and he'll eat it.

He has done this since I got him so I really thought little of it.
Could this be a dental issue or is he just messy? He is still eating/drinking/pooping/peeing normal, not losing weight, no drooling, acting normal, etc... Nothing seems off.

At this point, I'm just assuming that is how he likes to eat. I just wanted to ask in case someone had a different opinion.

My chinchillas sometimes do this, but it certainly is not typical for them. Every once in a while the female will just tip over the pellets immediately after I put them in the cage, but she will go and eat them later.

I know people say that pellet dust/piles are a malo sign, I never saw it in the 10 I had, malo or dental issue chinchillas won't eat a pellet let alone chew half or grind it to dust.

I would suggest weighing your baby on a regular basis, that way you'll have a better idea of his consumption. I have a post on my blog that details how best to weigh your chin, perhaps that can be of assistance. Sounds like normal chin behavior though, depending on personality and temperament.

Pellet digging and eating half of the pellet is normal behavior for come chins. If your chin is not loosing weight, there is no problem except for wasting feed. i see this all of the time.

I already weigh both my chins regularly. He had not gained nor lost any weight. I also weigh his food dish(after putting all the pellets back lol) to monitor how much he is eating and his eating habits haven't changed. He's literally done this since I got him so it's become a normal thing.

I read that half eaten pellets can be a sign of Malo so I was concerned. Since there are no other signs, I'm assuming it's just a quirk unless anyone else has any opinions. :]

LYChinchillas, I looked at your website for weighing chinchillas. Would I also get an accurate measurement if I put a plastic bowl on the scale, zero it out, then put the chinchilla in? I have a scale similar to the one in your picture. My chinchilla won't sit still long enough to get a good weight measure, she always wants to go exploring.

Back