Was told that flavored Timothy hays were okay for chins?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brim_the_Chin

I haven't given any to my chin, Brimstone, since I haven't been able to find any info proving what I was told to be true. Has anyone given their chins the flavored hays, such as the ones in the cardboard boxes that they sell at pet stores?

It is Kaytee brand, which I have seen both support for and against. It is had that is in three individual cardboard boxes for animals the actively forage for to "promote mental health". Basically that are small cardboard boxes with flavored hay inside and holes in the boxes for the animal to chew at to get the hay.

My question is more over flavored hays in general as there are flavored such as mint, mango, marigold, carrot, etc. I know that fruits and veggies are a big no so I was curious if the chins could even have flavored hay at all.

There are Timothy hay "treat" bags that include dried fruit or marigolds. I'd suggest staying away from the dried fruit bags, but with the marigolds, I'd remove the bulk of the marigolds and offer them as occasional treats. If there are flavored hays, that would mean the hay would have to be soaked in a flavor and then dried.. if that type of hay exists, I'd probably stay away from it. Since Timothy is the most fundamental hay for chins, I'd rather have mine get used to the basic form of it to discourage pickiness.

Back